Aftermarket battery options?

Vigo The Carpathian

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered already in great detail, but I haven't found the search option to be terribly intuitive.

I'm wondering what my options are, battery-wise, if I'm not interested in my bike being kick only. I'd like to clean up the area where the battery currently is and a smaller battery would go a long way, however, the only tiny batteries I've seen seem to be used by people who have built kick only bikes.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bike is a 1982 XS400 Special.

I wouldn't go for a smaller capacity battery if you're not going for kick only. Turning the engine takes a lot of juice, and the stock battery is already not great for this. My guess is, unless your bike is perfectly tuned and starts on the first turnover even in the coldest weather, that you'll be emptying and thereby breaking your small battery within a very short time.

Apologies if this has been covered already in great detail, but I haven't found the search option to be terribly intuitive.

I'm wondering what my options are, battery-wise, if I'm not interested in my bike being kick only. I'd like to clean up the area where the battery currently is and a smaller battery would go a long way, however, the only tiny batteries I've seen seem to be used by people who have built kick only bikes.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bike is a 1982 XS400 Special.

After typing "battery options" in the search function...

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4501

C'mon dude.

Charles is right though, that was way too easy. Even the crappy forum search finds it without any issues. Anyway good luck with finding a good new battery vigo :) let us know what you decide on buying

I sure hope you can cope with the trauma of having to look at one more battery thread.

Yeah...I'm calling my therapist right now.

Look, brah...I'm just trying to help you. There are people on here who are regulars who see "What jets for stock carbs" or "LED turn signals won't blink" or "Will [insert part] from an XS650 fit on my XS400?" or "Any ideas for smaller battery?" every month. So when you ask questions that tons of other people have already asked, and have been answered numerous times, it gets annoying...then, when you say you search and didn't find anything, we know you're just being lazy and not "terribly intuitive" yourself cause there are multiple threads on the first page of a simple search.

If you want people to help you, do your research first.

And by the way, no need to thank me for directing you to the thread you're looking for.

relax charles, this is the internet. I'm sure your 'brah' vigo is happy with the link since it contains exactly what he's looking for. Sure, he could have saved himself the trouble of making a new thread if he had searched for it some more, but he didn't. If it bothers you that he didn't take the effort, you shouldn't have replied in the first place. Or is that just me? Telling off this guy isn't gonna stop newbies from opening new threads about already covered topics. Besides, it's quiet enough here as it is so why not answer some old questions again :laugh:

now stop squabbling :)

Last edited:
With all due respect, don't tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Cool?

Just cause I call someone out doesn't mean I'm bothered or upset or need to relax or that I need to not respond.

Me responding to him has nothing to do with noobs. It has to do with me legit trying to help the guy. Sure, I was a smart ass about it, but the underlying sentiment is still there.

Back