ahh crap!!.. broke a header bolt :(

corytburkhart

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of the guys had posted about how on one side the flange that has the gap and holds your pipes on, wouldn't come off bc it seemed to be bent down.. well i had that problem too, my inside bolt was bent inward and down.. finished putting one pipe on, then decided to try and bend the other one back since i couldn't put the flange on.. got it bent out the went for the up and it snapped flush!!:banghead:... does anyone know the best way to get it out(i'll post a picture soon) and where to find a replacement?.. bc i imagine it would need to be the same depth size going into head

If it didn't crack inside the head, then just weld on a nut and twist it out. If not, just drill it out. And for the size of the replacement, take out one of the bolts and go to the local hardware store.

Snapping flush makes it hard to use my favorite method: weld a nut on the end of the stud. The heat from the weld and new gripping surface usually works great in removing the stud. However, in your case drilling and using an "easy out" reverse thread bolt/stud remover seems to be the best option. I would soak the stud in PB Blaster or another high quality penetrating oil several times a day for several days before attempting removal.

Back