air fuel mix problems

That's a good question. I remember someone here having trouble because the pod collar covered the pilot air jet inlet....but that's just a shot in the dark.

i have emgo pods but i put them on the intake manifold (the rubber part), so they shouldnt be blocking anything. i dont have the ability to upload pix now but as soon as i can i will.

If they are on the H-pipe that's fine. Is the breather hose hooked to it also?

well i think i broke her. put it back to stock and no change still acting the same. i think it might be the slides so im going to look at ordering some new ones.

Why do you think it's the slides? I know some of those "kits" come with a drill bit to drill a larger hole in them, did you do that or is something else wrong with them?

Allow me to quote my self:

The Main jets are only in operation above about 3/4 throttle and high RPM. You need to be looking at the Pilot jets and Screws if the bike is dying at low RPM.

Adding to that, the slides only operate above 1/4 throttle. Most people rarely use more than 1/4 throttle when cruising around. And unless you are riding like a holligan, you won't use much more than 1/8 throttle when trying to get the bike to move from a stop.

Pilot circuit. are they clean?
Pod = more air meaning more fuel.
but if it dies it is the pilot circuit.
i did a 4 bank that did the same thing it had a clogged pilot circuit on the #3 carb.
after that was fixed the jets needed to be upped.

Reclean, bench sync, start with stock jets, adjust mixture, then up size if needed.
when cleaning use a piece of wire i use pieces of copper speaker wire so i do not scratch the aluminum. dont use solid core copper but stranded, then twist to add strenght, use and repeat.

xschris: i ment the needle not the slides and i just said that because i know they are fragle and the only thing i messed with that is realy breakable. edgee: i have done a basic carb clean but i didnt get that deep ill pull the carbs and try cleaning the pilot curcuit. i hope that is it.

The emgos pod filters cause turbolance inside your carbs if you have them mounted directly on your carbs.Like chris said run them on the hpipe if you have and that should help with any turbolance problems.sorry thats all the input I can offer.

well i pulled the carbs for the 100th time. they are now as clean as the day they were made, but it made no change. i put new spark plugs in and it ran great for about 2 min and then started haveing its same fit. puled the plugs they were as black as sin, running way to rich. i think im just going to have to throw in the towel and take her to a pro.:banghead:

I went with a sigma 6 kit for my '78E, never touched any mods. Just got through dumping my fuel and pick up some 91 octane (ethanol free). decided to tear down and re-clean my carbs too so im in the same boat. Had the needle raised one step, doubled back and went with middle position, went from 42.5 to 45 on the pilots (jet kit did not come with pilots). Took the 132.5 mains to 142.5 ... then decided pods and aftermarket open exhausts may need richer mix as I've heard 150's doing the trick as well, kit never had 145 only 147.5 and 152.5, so I went with a 147.5 for now. My pilot screws are 3 turns out to start and I bench sync the hell outa them. Everything was cleaned beautiful and lucky me remembered to re-check and correct the float height the correct way lol. This time around I went against lubricating anything to avoid messing with the fuel... let the fuel do the lube when I hook it up. Noticed I will need some new float bowl drain plug washers and some washers where the fuel line connects to the carbs to keep them sealed. I have the cheap emgo pods unfortunately, but will oil dip and use the stock H pipe. .... How come the air jets never come up in any jetting conversation anybody try re jetting those?

Is your h tube hooked up with your crank breather and is the breather free of clogs?, is Your petcock fully functional in all positions? if your fuel is low use the RES position, sounds like your float bowls fill then run out of fuel maybe your petcock needs rebuild. Do you have one air vacuum line hooked up to one intake boot and the other boot capped and sealed off? valve adjustment and timing correct? proper spark gaps and point gaps? wet clutch approved oil at the proper level? Also make sure they are synchronized. All easier said than done but just going through the motions, you are not alone! :thumbsup:

No need to touch the air jets as the pilot jets a mix screw take care of it.

If they don't fit nice and tight then yes. Also do you replace the mix screws o-rings?

Back