Air intake boots (not sure of the name) need some advise

seanowenss

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
My bike was running rough so I removed the carburetor and cleaned it (more like a once over because the inside was actually in good shape). Now the carb wont slide back into the air intake boots - they look pretty deformed. The carb is seated into the carb boots on the one side so it cant slide back further.

full

-How do I remove these to replace them, and where can I get a replacement? (I live in BC Canada)

-What is the name of the part I need?

-How do I get the carb nice and clean on the outside?

-After reinstalling the carbs and throwing some gas in the tank can I just flash up the engine? is there any steps I need to take before flashing up the bike?

I'm new, I'm hoping I can get rid of my rookie questions soon
Thanks guys!

- You have to remove the carbs first. Pull down and out. Once the carbs are out you can remove the boot
- Interms of replacement eBay is your friend. As far as I know there is no real name for it. Just search carb boot, rubber pipe, carb rubber joint, etc. good ones are hard to come by (which is the main reason for my switch to pods)
- A good soda blasting would do wonders for that carb body short of that a toothbrush with some carb cleaner (depending on budget)
- once the carbs are off I would give the insides another cleaning as these carbs can never be too clean (especially if your soda blasting), check float height, and check your diaphragms. Once that is done put them back on hookup the throttle cable pull the choke and let it rip

Yours do look pretty deformed. It also looks like you have the same issue as I do: the carbs not going into these things deep enough for them to seal properly. I recommend loosening the carb rubbers on the cilinder side and pulling the carbs out of those about half an inch. That should give you some more room to attach your airfilter box rubber boot connector things or whatever theyre called. I wouldn't worry too much about these bad rubbers, as long as they don't allow dirt from the outside to get into your carbs they should be fine. Otherwise, you should also be able to replace the whole air filter box with some nicer looking mufflers, just be sure you get ones where you can leave your jetting in stock settings (look around the forum for help, I'm no expert)

Also, after cleaning your carbs the fuel bowls are empty, you should turn your fuel cock on PRI for about 3 seconds, then turning it back to ON or RES, before firing it up. But that's about it, good luck!

Back