Air Mixture Screw Identification Help

Applepi

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1978 XS400 on the cheap. I am looking to replace the air mixture screws because the tip broke off one of them. I want to make sure that I order the right part the first time. What better way than to ask the experts.

So when I search the Mike's XS site. I cant find any that are specifically for the 78 xs400 with the mikuni CV carbs. These are the two parts that look very similar to the screws that I have but I'm not sure if the would work. I can upload pictures when I am done with class for the day. Thanks! Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-carb-mixture-screw-kit-80-84-bs-34-oem-12r-14105-00

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha...bs-oem-3f9-14118-00-3h1-14147-00-3h1-14962-00

I have a '79 and they look more like the first one, but not identical.

Were it me, I'd take it out...as that's the ultimate goal anyway, and compare them directly.

Those are different than what the 77-79 sohc xs400 takes. Those are for the 80-82 sohc ones. Mike don't carry them for 77-79 bikes. Post pics of what you have to make sure of your year as people tend to swap out different year parts on these bikes.

Here is a picture of the mixture screws I have now. No sign of a O-ring. I can get pictures of the carbs Monday.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 196
Those are off the 80-82 sohc carbs. Should have a washer and o-ring also.

Those are off the 80-82 sohc carbs. Should have a washer and o-ring also.

Ok so I saw on another thread that the bs34's for the xs650 is mainly the same as my carbs besides a select few parts. Is that correct? Also thanks for your help on this! It is much appreciated.

Gaskets, jets( main and pilot), slides, float valves and o-rings, idle mix screws, pilot jet plugs. The things that are not the same are slide needles and needle jets.

Back