Air pods?

maniac1886

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I got a question for all you Xs400 guys.... My katana HATES airpods. Its basically impossible to get the carbs to run right with pods. Katana's use mikuni carbs. Im under the impression that these xs400's also use mikuni carbs. Do people have good luck tuning these carbs to run WELL with a high flow air pod setup? Should I put restricters in? Would I be better off just finding a stock airbox?

The reason the air pods don't work on the bike is because you have to rejet the carbs.If you don't feel like rejetting the carbs then your best option would be to run the stock airboxes.

Well, with the Katana, just re-jetting the carbs will not work. the problem is the back pressure created by the airbox. When installing air pods it screws everything up. Even if you jet the carbs. Theres a lot of tedious work involved in getting a Kat to run properly on pod filters. Jettings, air restricters, F/A mixture adjustments, and a timing advance are among the main things needed to tune them correctly, after extensive research I've found that the katanas made for the UK and australia are tuneable but still, not without a dyno and a hell of a lot of patience.

Im just curious to know whether or not it will be that involved on these xs's. You pretty much cant get the katana to not have flat spots in the Rpm, they pop, it makes the exhaust sound more like a wet fart than "sport" bike, it all around makes them run crappy. I know this isnt the case with other model bikes. I can provide links to backup my information from the Katriders.com forum if you would like to read about it, but not all bikes are so picky about pods. This xs400 i just got has pods, the dumbass put mismatched pods on it so i will be getting a new pair. Im going to have it jetted, clean the carbs and get new intake boots but i have a feeling its still gunna run a lil funky.

You mean to tell me that fitting airboxes and standard filters may not be simply a conspiracy to lower output and that the average yokel may not be better at determining the intake needs of a motorcycle than a well trained engineer? Go figure.

If you go with pods use uni's. The foam won't cause turbulence like the pleated type pods do. Another option is to use the stock H-pipe and put a set of REAL K&N pods on the ends. Avoid the cheap emgo or non oil-able ones the mikesxs sells. K&N made a xs360/400 specific filter back in the day (RC-130) that works very well and tuning is easy. They are hard to find but if you get some with the same O.D. as the pipe you can just put some on the end.

Attachments

• user3160_pic4376_1375883337.jpg
    user3160_pic4376_1375883337.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 311
  • user3160_pic5414_1399771148.jpg
    user3160_pic5414_1399771148.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 322
You mean ... the average yokel may not be better at determining the intake needs of a motorcycle than a well trained engineer? ...
... She was designed by men who oiled their own slide rules and spent their evenings puking up Sake on the bullet trains on their way home. :bike:

My XS400 is doing ok with pod filters and an open 2-1 header. Still haven't gotten around to rejetting the carbs yet, but mine didn't have the factory air boxes or anything, so what it has now is an improvement. You have to get filters without the lip inside the rubber boot though, so you don't block the holes on the carbs.
And fwiw, my XVS650 runs perfect with pod filters as well, it also has Mikuni carbs. You just have to tune it right, it may take a little trial and error though.

Ok cool. Thanks for the info guys. Im putting a new battery in it today, then back to testing. Would it be crazy of me to put a CBR 600 battery in it? It's alot lower profile and if you look at the picture in this thread :
http://xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12900
You will see that, at the moment, that is what is in there now. The cbr batteries are a little bit smaller and a little bit lower profile. My only concern is will the charging system keep it charged?

Back