Alignment problem after re-assembly

jim12

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, like many of you in the northeast I'm killing time in the garage while waiting for warmer weather, and recently pulled out the forks and replaced the oil on my '81 XS400SH that I picked up last spring. Everything went ok as far as I could tell, except that once I had everything back together, it seemed like the front wheel didnt line up straight with the handlebars. It was off by maybe 3 or 4 degrees. I took everything apart again and reassembled, making sure to torque the nuts in the correct order, pumping the forks with full weight a few times before torquing down fully. It seemed to help a little, but it still seems like its off by a degree or two. Anyone know if this is a common issue, or if theres a likely culprit?

In which way is it off a few degrees? Like the wheel is pointed to the left/right or the wheel's pitch is off?

In terms of a cars wheel is it the toe or camber?

Good question. It is pointed to the left (birds eye view), so toe out. The pitch/ camber (assuming I'm understanding those terms correctly) is fine.

Slightly loosen all the triple trees bolts holding your fork legs, both top and bottom triple trees. Loosen them enough that you can turn the fork legs in the trees clamps. It may be best to put bike on center stand and use some wood under the engine to hold the bike steady as when you loosen the clamps the bike would want to fall forward. Then standing in front of the bike, hold the wheel between your legs and hold the wheel steady with your knees. Then grab the handlebars and twist them the opposite way the wheel is off. Once you have it straight, retighten the triple tree bolts.

It may take a few times to get it straight but it will work.

This is how I assemble my forks. Slide tubes up the bottom of the tri tree then put the front fender on. Then the wheel/axle and torque to spec. Next put on the top tree and center bolt but just snug the bolt. Slide the tubes up to the edge of the top tree. Then torque the bottom tree bolts. Next put on the center bolt of the tri tree and torque that. Last the top tri tree bolts get torqued. If nothing is bent it should be good.

rshutchinson, your tip is definitely the answer. It worked but its tough to get enough hands to hold everything in place. Whenever I tighten down the bolts it seems to push it back out 1 or 2 degrees. I just need a third person or to find some way to twist and hold the handlebar/wheel and torque the bolts at the same time.

Installing the fender then wheel will keep it straight. I have four of these bikes and it only take just me to do it:wink2: If you need to "pull" on something to get it right, something is off or bent.

Back