Alternator Brush Cylinder Chipped

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday, I pulled a few engine covers to strip the clear coat.

By the way, to get the alternator cover off, it's easier to first remove the sprocket cover.

Anyhow, after I unscrewed the cover, I noticed the brushes are mounted on the inside of it and would need to be removed/unscrewed before the cover could be taken away from the bike.

I was having difficulty unscrewing the brush "thingy" and a buddy went at it for me.

In the process, the plastic cylinder that surrounds one of the brushes actually got chipped off at the top. If you look carefully, you can see it.

QUESTIONS:

1) What is the is particular part called in it's entirety?

2) Does anyone have a solution or should I just leave it be and roll with the punch?

3) What are the odds of it working correctly?

20121023_160256.jpg

20121023_160314.jpg

That's what I was concerned about, however, the million dollar question is this:

Does the alternator spin clockwise or counter-clockwise?

If it's clockwise, I'm fine. If not, I have reason to be concerned.

I ask this because the plastic that would brace clockwise friction remains intact.

run the starter with the sparks plugs out ( but can still spark to protect the TCI)

and see which way it runs

Drewpster, at first this made zero sense to me and then I pictured it.

You're saying OPEN the alternator and do a quick "jab" on the starter to see which way it goes with the plugs out, yeah? Should I leave the plugs connected to the harness?

if you can see the end of the alternator, turn over the engine.

you don't want t start it so take out the plugs and turn over the engine with the e-start

Back