Rear Disc Conversion/Rearset Addition

Charles

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I felt part of making the bike a bit more safe, and better looking (to me at least) is doing a complete disc conversion. In actuality, my front drum was almost nonexistant and the rear was getting close. I mean, I needed to buy new drum shoes, so I figured I'd just put that money towards a whole new wheel and brake setup. It's a totally logical jump for me. :) For the front I have a USD fork from a GSX-R that will be going on in a few months. So for the rear, I have found a stock 18" mag and stock disc.

First things first, I figured I might as well drill the rotor. I created the pattern on Google Draw, or whatever the free Google rendering program is. I just put in the diameter of the rotor and started messing with hole patterns at varying degrees in relation to the center. It was fairly easy to get the hang of the program and have something sketched up.

One quadrant at a time

20120102_002348_zpse5125d2d.jpg

Then I used a spring loaded punch for each hole. Makes lining up the drill bit easier. Then I just used the drill press to hit them all.

20120102_002556_zps92df3c6f.jpg

And the powdercoated wheel with the drilled rotor on it.

IMG_20130224_165627_zps6aa4e7ce.jpg

Now for mounting.

I was coming from a 1982 Special drum, spoked rear. For the most part, it was a direct swap. There were a few differences. The drum setup uses a torque bar that attaches on the bottom of the swing arm. The disc mag positions the caliper on the top, so the drum torque bar location wouldn't work. Some people just buy the disc swingarm to avoid this issue. But I have this:

IMG_20130414_153803_zps9633d73c.jpg

So why waste money on something I don't really need? I simply hacked off the stock mount from the underside, then welded it to the top side.

Voila

IMG_20130312_204823_zpsc21af86e.jpg

The next issue I came across was the spacing. For the chain side, everything seems to be cool. I used the drum spacer/bearing cover thingy for the disc wheel. The brake side was more of a problem. I looked for a disc mag spacer, but it seemed it was no longer made. The stock drum setup comes with a spacer, but that was too long. No problem. I'll take it to my local lathe guy. Now, if you're in northeast Florida, I'd recommend him, but be forewarned, he harbors a lot of discontent towards liberals. And by liberals, I mean anyone who's not Glenn Beck. So if you like GB or Rush, you've just made a new bff. Lawzz...zomg!!! If you are not of that camp, well, just keep thinking "This is saving me 50% compared to going elsewhere"..and keep saying that, even after you've been there for over an hour trying to plot your escape without being too rude. Not that I had to do that...twice. Anyhow! Reduce the stock drum spacer to a length of 19-19.5mm. Measure yours just to be sure. With that being done the caliper carrier should be spaced properly as well as the wheel.

Now, for the master cylinder. I'm planning on doing a cafe-ish build, so I wanted rearsets. Most rearsets come with the master cylinder, so that's a bonus. I was able to get a set from a 2006 (I think) R6. Brembo rear master cylinder. Cost me like $50 bucks shipped. Depending on your fab skills, this might be an issue for you. The way these are mounted are via two holes. Those two holes do not line up with the stock footrest mounting points. If you decide to get universal sets, you might be able to mount them in the hole where the passenger pegs mount. I'd think you could do that without having to weld anything. I didn't go that route..whatever, I saved at least $100 bucks doing it this way, so I sleep better at night.

After trying various mounting spots, I realized I had to space them out from the frame a bit. I went to Ace (it really IS the place) to find some hardware. I settled on some 2" spacers and some M8 couplers to be used as bolt receptacles.

Here are the spacers with rosette holes drilled and you can see the couplers temporarily mounted to the rearsets

IMG_20130414_153659_zpsa891b879.jpg

Clamped for welding

IMG_20130414_154515_zps6b4c03de.jpg

Once I welded the couplers inside the spacers, I sanded down the weld overflow, then welded them to the frame. I chose to weld them to the passenger peg hoop/loop

IMG_20130414_202616_zps32f73c7b.jpg

Now for the shifter rod. The R6 shifter lever came with a reverse thread nut. Usually that's fine cause you'll use that to tighten down a premade rod and adjust accordingly. That's an awesome plan...if I had only thought that far ahead. But hey, life's about learning lessons, right? When I welded my mounts to the frame, the angle prevent the shift linkage from being a straight shot. I was going to need to bend the rod, and most of the premade rods are aluminum. I guess I could have bent one, but they're anodized and I'd need to heat it and I'm sure knowing my luck, I'd snap it before I got it bent to the angle I needed. So, what to do? I decided to weld the reverse thread nut to a comparably sized spacer. Weld that spacer to solid rod, bend that rod to suit, then on the other end, weld on a threaded coupler and use a standard thread M6 for a jam nut. Phwew!

Here's a kind of blurry pic of the reverse thread nut already welded to the hollow spacer and the solid rod. I built up some of the weld material so after I sanded it down, it would look like one long spacer, not a spacer with a nut welded to it...if that makes sense.

IMG_20130420_183708_zps08e22e5e.jpg

And me trying to set it up for the threaded coupler to be welded to the other end after I bent the rod

IMG_20130420_185950_zps08fd00c8.jpg

And here's the linkage attached.

IMG_20130420_202421_zpsecc44eae.jpg

Oh, there's another lesson I learned. When the center stand is down you won't be able to factor that in to the build, so when you go for a test ride and the center stand is retracted, you'll realize that it gets in the way of the foot shifter. Sweet! Luckily, it seems like there's enough adjustment that I can factor out the center stand...I hope.

And that's pretty much where I'm at.

I need to paint/sand off slag, get a new brake line and splice in the stock brake light switch to the R6 unit.

IMG_20130420_202341_zps32593d1f.jpg

Hey brother, love that gray you powdercoated the wheels with. With respect to your pegs though, aren't they outboard a bit much? They will be really rear set rearsets!

As you were, carry on!

Hey brother, love that gray you powdercoated the wheels with. With respect to your pegs though, aren't they outboard a bit much? They will be really rear set rearsets!

As you were, carry on!

They had to be out a bit to clear the master cylinder (it's attached on the inner side of the peg mount) and the pipes I currently have (That were removed while I installed them). I don't think tucking them in an inch closer would have that much effect on appearance.
I've actually been thinking of repositioning them, so if I do that, I might cut the mounts down a bit.

What did you use for drilling out that disk?I was wanting to have that done on my front but I dont have a drill press.

A drill press. :)

You can pick one up from CL for $50-100.

Great little write-up :thumbsup: Really makes me wish I had a welder...and a garage... Next you need to do a write-up of your front end swap.

I think I'll be swapping out the seat next, which will mean altering the rear half of the frame. I plan on documenting that too. I always forget to take pics though. I need to keep that in mind. ;)

Part of this was to let people know the little things about swaps they might not be aware of. Like I mentioned, I've never read a thread where it was noted that you need to get a disc wheel spacer for the swap. Most of the time spacers don't come with a wheel if you buy it on its own. So hopefully it will help someone else who wants to do it.

don't forget to use cobalt drill bits if your drilling stainless. I went through about 5 of them

there are pattern on the net if you google for RD stuff you will find them.

Scorpio You could find a small inexpensive drill press at Harbor Freight or a number of similar stores. As for the drills I used to do a lot of Drill work and suggest to spot drill with a #2 or #3 centerdrill. Also be sure to find a small chamfer and not too deep when you finish the job. The issue is a sharp edge will greatly reduce the life of your brake pads. Be sure to use sharp high quality tools and lots a lube to aviod galling and take your time.

Charles How do you like your little welder? I've been thinking seriously about that unit for my self. I'm trying to rebuild my shop area since I downsized when we moved to our new home.

Scorpio You could find a small inexpensive drill press at Harbor Freight or a number of similar stores. As for the drills I used to do a lot of Drill work and suggest to spot drill with a #2 or #3 centerdrill. Also be sure to find a small chamfer and not too deep when you finish the job. The issue is a sharp edge will greatly reduce the life of your brake pads. Be sure to use sharp high quality tools and lots a lube to aviod galling and take your time.

Yep, I used lots of lube and made sure to chamfer my holes. That kind of sounds dirty. ;)

Charles How do you like your little welder? I've been thinking seriously about that unit for my self. I'm trying to rebuild my shop area since I downsized when we moved to our new home.

So far, so good.
I kept trying to find a used Miller/Lincoln/Hobart, but couldn't get a used one for the price of the NI MIG/TIG. I read lots of reviews on it and I didn't find a bad one.

On the holes you don't want them larger in diameter than the rotor is thick. This decreases the surface area of the rotor and can lead to over heating the brakes. Also you don't want to chamfer the holes. Maybe just enough to remove burrs but not so much you see the angle of the bevel. I think your holes are too big as well as more than you need. Half that many would enough to get all the improvement the holes will provide.
As you use the brake bits of metal peel off the rotor and imbed in the pads. The sharp edge of the holes cleans this off.
New bikes use rotors with many holes but they use 4, 6 or more pistons in the calipers to provide enough clampinmg force to compensate for the excess of holes.
Leo

If I was planning on racing the bike, that would probably matter.

Honestly, it's mostly for looks. I'll have dual discs up front from a GSX-R. I'm fairly confident my braking will be adequate. But, I'll keep that in mind for the next set I drill. :)

Back