Alternator harness severed

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
1978 xs400 2e

So, my bike was not charging and it looks like the PO pinched the bundle coming from the alternator with the clutch case cover; it was squashed very thin. After a light tug it split into two pieces.

Now, there is 1 yellow wire and 3 white wires in this bundle. According to the wiring diagram all of these wires go to the rectifier. Since the bundle is severed I cannot tell which white wire went to which prong on the harness. Does it matter? I need some confirmation before I re-solder the wires together.

Thanks so much! I want to get out and ride asap and this is the last thing holding me back right now. :doh:

As long as you connect the whites to the whites, and the yellow to the yellow, you should be golden. Check it out for yourself google stator wire order.

Either it doesn't matter or I am one lucky SOB, but mine works fine after randomly connecting white to white. And, for what its worth, I am not a lucky SOB

You are both correct: the whites don't matter. I found a wiring diagram of the rectifier internals. The white wires simply split the current into 3 different diodes which then converge into a single line. The reason for the splitting is probably just because the diodes can only handle so much current.

Oh, and she works :) Charging strong!

Back