Am I in over my head?

Here and in many other states "Legal Title" can be had for about $150 in 'fees'. Possession of the bike for a period of time [3 months here] and posting some notices on nearby power poles are often part of the legal run-around. A Bill of Sale may help but a Storage Lien will do the job - might even be better. Ads in your local Craigslist may direct you to people who specialize in this form of magic - search for 'title' in the 'automotive services' section. Here in Okieland the code word is 'Title 42'. Probably different in other places.
Once the State declares you the owner, officials with badges and shotguns will defend the title :eek:.
It wouldn't hurt you to have bills of sale for anything with serial numbers - like engines - but "Legal Title" usually resides in the frame - especially that part of the frame where the numbers are stamped. So if you have a title to a bare frame the rest is just bolt-on parts and a bit of paint to the State. Only once in my life have I had a tag agent get off their butt and actually look at a number on the beast in question - and that was on a dune buggy - but it never hurts to have the numbers in the metal match the ones on your papers.

A clean conscience and matching numbers make for a good night's sleep. :bike::thumbsup:

he's in Australia so titling a orphan is totally different probably easier to sell bikes as parts and use the money to buy a different titled bike

Back