An xs400 Christmas Miracle! New to me xs400

AirsoftNY

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was looking for a new winter project. Bought myself a Christmas present, 1980 Special II from a fellow xs400 member here. I'm super excited!

minivan.jpg

Yes you can fit an XS400 into a minivan! Yes, your car will smell like gas and oil for a day after, and yes your wife will be annoyed!

side.jpg

Great condition, runs, needs a bit of carb tuning. My 650 now has a little brother!

That's a nice looking bike for 30+ years old. The barely running 80 XS400 I bought from ebay for $440 just before Thanksgiving was in nowhere near that nice condition. Even though I'm doing a pretty thorough rebuild into a "cafe style" with a focus on safety and reliability as my son's first bike, it would have been great to start with a better base. I hope you can share what you paid for it and hopefully make me jealous.

Nice ride and a great companion to your 650! Welcome.

Way back in the 1960s, when I was in College, I hauled my Honda Dream 150 around in my '65 VW Variant 1500 (mine was a Euro version - called the Squareback in U.S. version). Would drain gas and oil and slide on it's side it into the back of that small 2 door station wagon.

Was poking around the bike and found the original toolkit stashed under the seat. Cool! Never had a bike that still had the tool kit....

tools2.jpg

I have noticed that some of these kits don't have the cable. I bought a N.O.S one for my 79 from speed and sport sealed in the factory package and no cable. Also my 80 that came from the original owner and that had no cable and he said it never had one:shrug::shrug:

I have a special fondness for railroad spikes. I've used them in some of my sculptures and have about 10 in my living room for spiritual purposes. I even have one in each of my cars for good luck and protection. I like them, they add an old school industrial look.

Railroad spike foot pegs were kind of popular around here in the late 70's on choppers and customs. I may still have a pair, I know I have some RR spikes. I like em.

Back