And So It Begins

cyrizdark

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So i have been on here to some time and have posted to a few different posts but it is time to start my own project. I have a 1982 Seca R, she is in wonderful condition with only a few thousand miles on her. But thats not good enough, so with that i am about to build one sick ass bobber.

I have already hacked off part of the back tail frame and have removed all the plastic panels. The previous owner already changed the headlight to a round and also changed the turn signals. I plan on either shortening the frame more or removed the whole back tail and building a new seat section. I am going to hard tail it and the plan is to change the tank to a GS450 Kawasaki tank. I also am going to put a set of clubman bars and new hand controls.

I will post pics soon here is what the bike looked like originally.

I hope you will enjoy the journey as much as me. Thanks for posting and following

Attachments

• IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 228
Wow! That is a great looking Seca. I haven't seen many that look so pristine. It is almost a shame to molest a bike that is so nice and could be easily restored. But, it is your bike...

Please be sure to carefully remove the parts you won't need and sell them to others here who are trying to restore their bike.

Those plastic panels are pretty rare if theyre in good shape. If you're not going to use them, you might consider selling them on ebay or something

Pics of the progress?? I am building the same bike. It is always cool to see what other people do with it.

Its his bike, he can do what he likes to it no? Keep choppin bro :) And don't forget to post pics of the carnage!

Last edited:
And on the third day the lord said, let there be chop. There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth. And thou who judged thee for forsaking your tail piece, I say to thee: May he who never made a mistake customising a vintage Japanese motorcycle, be the first to taketh thou angle grinder and hacketh away. Amen.

And on the third day the lord said, let there be chop. There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth. And thou who judged thee for forsaking your tail piece, I say to thee: May he who never made a mistake customising a vintage Japanese motorcycle, be the first to taketh thou angle grinder and hacketh away. Amen.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

...let there be pork chop...

Well I chopped on my bike also but not on the frame,I chopped my battery box up so it will come up easy from the top and then drilled holes in the bottom underneith it where I mounted the rectifier.Removing the carbs only takes about 5-10 minutes now.I also chopped my exhaust but my bike wasnt/isnt pristine either.Nobody beleives in keeping anything original anymore or is it a case I see other people chop so I feel compelled to chop away also?Or is a case I only paid $300 for it so since I got so cheap I can bob or cafe it?Very soon bikes like ours will be difficult to find.Yeah its your bike do what you want to it.I guess I`ll never understand the chopping!Im proud of bike having the original look:thumbsup:

I can understand both angles. Some say chop a beater cause its in bad shape anyway which is logical. But when you start with a nice low k's bike chances are you wont need to touch the motor or electrics. So I guess you got to weigh up how much you gonna get for it stock and nice, then go buy a beater, then how much time/money/tears you gonna spend fixing the motor/electrics in the beater? If the bike is really rare and worth heaps I guess its a no brainer, don't molest it. This bike though I wouldn't hesitate to take an angle grinder to it if that's the base I wanted as a project.

Don't get me wrong appearance wise the bike was pristine but the is an oil leak a minor gas leak the carbs are causing problems the brake pedal is all twisted up. So basically the engines is fine and they are more or less minor but it's also a 30 year old bike I'm not going to get that much for it so time to chop.

So you get another brake pedle fix the leaking gaskets that the oil is leaking from and you hav your minor things fixed.Recently my bike was plagued with what seem leak after leak.After working hard fixing all the leaks got it to hold gas so it didnt leak out all the time the tank is now full gas and bike is ready to have a blast.Shes not the prettiest but she runs good.

nice mate, can't wait to see some photos. i've just cut down the same bike. the monoshock system makes it very easy to convert to a bobber/chopper style.
if anyone in the uk is looking for those panels give me a shout

Ok so i have gotten my gs450 tank, a set of clubman bars, bar end mirrors and a new brake light. I still need to get a new set of hand controls, need to hard tail the back end, find a seat i like and im thinking of doing a fake oil tank for all the electronics. Will have to take some pics here soon, it sucks would love a garage im stuck at a townhouse with just a parking spot to do all this and it just got cold again here in PA hope spring comes and stays soon.

So its been some time, im looking to use a larosa solo seat and have found a few i like but haven't bought yet, i also ordered a new set of grips and hand controls. I just need to finish working on my basement and building a work shop down there then i plan to strip the bike and really get to work as time allows. I know what you mean benchwrench with a kids it makes it hard, she is 8 1/2 months old and very time consuming. Its fun thought both her and the project. Will post pics soon promise

Back