Another question. H4 headlight

Rumpelhardt

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new headlight coming that has a 60/55 watt H4 bulb. Anything else I need to get to make it work on my bike? Relays, wiring, etc? I've never worked on a motorcycle before so this is turning into quite an adventure.

You can just use it as is, the plug should mate up.

You could go as far as to change the stock wiring and run your own spst relays to get more brightness out of the light, but its quite involved and not an easy task if you've never messed with wiring before.

other than being a pain in the posterior wiring isn't a big problem. I've built and raced cars for years so I've had a fair amount of experience with it. The biggest thing is that having never dealt with motorcycles before I'm not sure how far the stock charging system can be pushed so I'm a little worried about overloading it.

Expect the new headlight to dim at idle, when the brakes are applied, or the turn signals flash.

Consider spending more $ on a quality HID conversion, or an LED bulb. There are some new H4 LED bulbs that actually work well. Phillips makes a DOT certified bulb, but they are silly expensive. There are bulbs on the 'Bay for around $70US that work well. 35-40W so they don't draw too much and won't dim at idle.

Should be decent, especially at that price. The 60W low beam will be a significant draw at idle and low RPM compared to the stock bulb. Thus my suggestion of HID or LED conversion.

I have mine attached to the headlight mounting bracket. But, I have a fairing on my bike and also don't care if parts are visible. Form is secondary to function for me.

Thanks. Guess I'll be getting one. I work nights and live out in the sticks so a decent headlight is almost mandatory. The stock one is pretty pathetic from the little sneaking around the back roads I've done..

The ballast on mine is considered "slim" and I found that you can zip-tie it between the backbone of the frame and the corresponding cutout on the underside of the tank without any issues. Aside from a few extra wires poking out between the tank and the headlamp, you wouldn't know it's there.

I've read very positive reviews of these H4 LED bulbs. They come as a pair and are currently on sale. If only they were available on Amazon.ca for Canadians to purchase. I'd be willing to accept 5W higher power consumption for an increase in lumen output over my HID.

I've read very positive reviews of these H4 LED bulbs. They come as a pair and are currently on sale. If only they were available on Amazon.ca for Canadians to purchase. I'd be willing to accept 5W higher power consumption for an increase in lumen output over my HID.

So...would this bulb plus a new lens that will accept an H4 light be a plug and play solution?

Because it is LED would I still need to reduce the power consumption from signals and brake light?

Edit: Dave, this light says it ships across the border to my town Kelowna, BC Canada, but not to you? If the above questions pan out and you wanna go halfers I'll send you the 2nd one!

Yes, an H4 headlight would be required. This would be plug and play, no wiring required. The only concerns are space in the bucket for the bulb with it's large heat sink, and the external ballast. The ballast may have to be mounted outside the bucket. Some creativity may be required.

Need to? No. Want to? Probably.

Looks like my message to the seller got them to add shipping to Canada! PM heading your way JT!

The ballast on the HID bulb I got is smaller than it looked to me in the pictures. It shouldn't be too hard to hide. I'm still waiting on the headlight I ordered. That is supposed to be here tomorrow.

UPS has arrived.
8839e170-b87e-4eb8-ba86-5cef7afdba85.jpg

_DSC0013.jpg

I'll probably try to install it this weekend.

You are going to blind the hell out of every car you go by if you use that housing with an HID or LED bulb. Just an FYI.

I was doing the same thing, and after I got it hooked up I immediately tore it out and went back to H4 due to the blinding factor. I didn't want to be the asshat that I always yell about when driving that blinds me to death.

The only proper way to do an HID conversion is to use a true projector and retrofit. Nothing under $180 is a true projector with a blocking shield. Everything else try to use work arounds, but you will still blind people. There is a bunch of info if you do a bit of searching. Headlights are designed to have a very pronounced cutoff when in low beam mode, along with a dip on the oncoming traffic side to prevent distracting/blinding the driver. Anything else outside of that realm is illegal. All of the low cost HID and LED kits will not work. I did see an LED kit the other day that splits the reflector housing in two separate parts, which is better but still not ideal.

The only HID kits I've found that will work will not fit in a motorcycle 7inch housing. Those that have retrofitted tend to cut out the back and have the end of the projector sticking out. Not bad if you have a fairing, but it will look silly otherwise.

Also, be warned that those that have put true HID's in a motorcycle have complained about the loss of visibility when turning.

Back