ANOTHER reg/rec thread

Alienation420

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I've been searching endlessly about the topic, and can't find the info I'm looking for. I've found various units on amazon and I'm wondering if the DOHC unit will work for a 79 points model? It has the 3 whites, red, brown, green, and black wires.

All I know is the factory stuff so can't help you with aftermarket. But I would avoid DOHC stuff. There are lots of sohc stock regs and recs still around for cheap. Search by part number as a few other bikes used them also.

So I was looking at a wiring diagram, and I noticed that the red/black, and the blue wire go to the instrument panel. Are those redundant if I don't have a dash?

All I know is how to put a stock setup together using oem stuff. If anything is missing or removed it may or can cause issues. If your running a modified setup maybe someone that has cut up a stock bike will chime in. I am not a fan of wiring and just stick with plug and play setups as it works always as it should.

Reading electrical schematics based on the other models listed on the compatibility of that reg/rec, and they all show 12v switched on the brown, going to the green at the field coil, not 12v going to ground listed on dohc 400s.. REALLY confused on this one.

The sohc xs400 and the dohc xs400 use different type of charging systems.

Really wish more people would chime in here. I've exhausted myself trying to research the topic and I've really not found any answers! I have scoured this site, and Google and really can't find a conclusion. With this covid outbreak, I can't even access a reg/rec for the sohc, so I'm trying to make it work to get my bike finished off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Yamah...445636?hash=item365e025704:g:qkAAAOSwVDJeSp2- This also has the TCI box as well. Lots of these on ebay. Lots of other bikes used these. Search but parts number. Not sure why people need to make it harder by using parts not intended for these bikes. I still have 40 year old ones on my bikes that work perfect. All the used ones I have picked up still tested fine also. That can go bad don't get me wrong but these are plug and play.

Thanks. I have the original regulator and rectifier as well, but don't need a TCI because I run points. I'll figure it all out, just trying to minimize wiring etc

At the risk of destroying the charging system or anything else I would wire the bike using correct parts.

My rectifier was no good. The diodes let a few mA through all the time and the battery would go flat in a week. Plus it wouldn’t charge. Hence I bought the reg/rectifier combo. Arrived today so hopefully will test over weekend.

This is it
3whites -alternator
Brown & green -field coil
Red -batt +
Black -earth

Attachments

• 5453A06E-BE2E-48A1-81B1-4C401C785766.jpeg
    5453A06E-BE2E-48A1-81B1-4C401C785766.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 44AEF99C-EAB2-4D63-A6D7-8749C98F9C11.jpeg
    44AEF99C-EAB2-4D63-A6D7-8749C98F9C11.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 240
I ordered a “plug and play” rec/reg combo for my points ignition XS, didnt work even though it fit both stock connectors. $100 wasted. I use the stock rectifier and a R292 regulator that I bought from an auto parts store.

There is a thread here somewhere that goes into detail with the regs. It was member who lives overseas, that much I remember.

That is exactly the same one I ordered. Let me know if it works when you get it connected!
Hi Alienation, bad news, tried it and it didn’t work. But then tried the one I thought I’d fried and it did! 14v at the battery. Joy. I did find a wiring fault, you need to connect the brown from the field coil directly to the brown from the ignition switch, I think it’s that wire which the regulator uses to monitor battery voltage and adjust power to the field coil. I had assumed that the combined reg/rec unit had that hooked up inside, like it does it’s the Earth. Clearly it didn’t.
I have feeling the Reg/rev that didn’t work is for something that uses more power as the wires are much thicker than on the one that works.
https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR32.html
this one does work

Back