Any oldschool cheap front tires you know of

FUBAR

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
i need a new front tire to match my nos rear dunlop qualifier. front rim size is 18.

what are you guys runnning

Match? As in the same tire? I run Kendas because they were cheap. I can get my knee down with them quite easily. I couldn't be more satisfied.

I put Shinkos on my gsxr750; they have been perfect. I can't afford top brand tires when I ride 4,000 miles a month.

I have Shinko's sitting in my garage waiting to be mounted on my '78. The stress was on the word "cheep" in my choice :)

http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-712-motorcycle-tire

Can't go wrong with Shinko tires! Formally Yokohama cycle & scoot tires. I switched to a set on my Maxi scoot from the original tires and handling improved noticeably. Couldn't find the correct sizes a couple years ago when I was looking for my XS. Glad to see they are available here now. I mounted IRC brand on the XS. Not cheap at about $150/pair but I do like them.

i have a dunlop k81 3.0x18. cool old school tread pattern with modern day compound (or so the marketing material would lead you to believe).

My gixxer makes almost 140.

Granted my top speed is limited to 160 with the sport-touring model I chose. After 4,500 miles on the Shinkos I have seen no noticeable wear and have had no issues. I have no trouble putting power or my knee down.

I don't believe that 99% of riders on the street can possibly use a top brand tire to it's full potential.

some of those look cool, i was going to go with the 25$ scooter tires, then the shinkos but none of those sites will ship the tires to canada

Shinko Ravens on the CBR, I get 15k out of them. I ride daily so tread life is important, and they do hold well. 2up and solo on the dragon, hit 110mph before having to drop down quick in speed and then drop into the next corner, no issues. They heat well. I was using Shinko Podiums prior, better than the ravens in the rain but only 10k on them. The XS were still not sure what we're getting, probably shinkos though.

I also have the ravens on my gixxer. I am pleased with them! They are more than enough for the street and seem to have a long lifespan.

Sorry this thread's kinda old but i'm needing new tires and am wanting to go the cheap route but not sacrifice safety.

The Shinko 712s don't look too bad but are tubeless. The Kenda Challengers don't have correct size in the rear tire but have it in the front tire. Will it be ok running a front tire on the rear? The tread looks to be the same on both.

Also, my bike has a 100/90/18 on the front instead of the stock 90/90/18. I didn't notice til I looked at the size, can I just keep using the 100? No clearance issues i've noticed nor handling.

So, if I ordered the Challengers, i'd be getting two 100/90/18 front tires. Does this sound ok?

Hey Nico, welcome.
I recall Drewpy writing that it is okay to use a tubeless tire on a spoked wheel as long as you still put a tube inside it. So if the Shinko is what you really want ... - but check with someone who really knows to make sure.

I think one can use a tire that's one size wider, though it will slightly increase the rolling circumference.
But I don't understand how you'd get 2 the same on the bike at once. Don't the specs call for quite a larger size for the rear - like a 120-90? It doesn't sound right to go wider on the front and narrower on the rear.

Maybe your question should be: can I use a front tire for a bigger bike on the rear wheel of a smaller bike as long as the size is correct?
I don't know the answer, but someone like Drewpy will.

Last edited:
without getting into crazy tread patterns you can run a rear on the front or front on the rear but you have to reverse the rotation (arrow on the tire) backward, end for end

I just ordered a set of Pirelli Sport Demon's. 200$ to my door. Just ordered the same size tires that were on the bike (100/90/19 front and 130/90/16 rear).

But this is the maxim.. cast wheels, different sizes, etc etc. (Also more POWAH!!! lol)

Back