any tips for removal of clutch cover w/frozen screws?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Need to find source of small oil leak... bought an impact screwdriver from harbor freight and the hardened tip snapped off when I tried to unscrew it. Guess I didn't know my own strength.....haven't tried heat yet and haven't striped the screws yet.... but like too avoid trying to drill them out as I'm afraid it I might really mess that up.... appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Get a new bit for your impact driver. The screws on our bikes are NOT Phillips or Posi-Drive! They are Japanese Industrial Standard aka JIS. There is a difference, and that is why your cheap bit snapped, it bottomed out in the screw without engaging the flanks of the bit in the screw. Some premium bits for drywall screws (Phillips) are designed with a blunt nose and they may work better than a standard Phillips bit, but not as well as a JIS bit. Good luck!

Thanks, I never heard of JIS screws... Good to know. Amazing the usefull trivia I can learn here!

And yeah, shrink wrap might be better, but hot glue was fast and convenient. It doesn't melt below 380 degrees, so I think it will hold OK.

Also, use a good amount of liquid wrench or whatever other brand you like, let it soak waaaay into those long screws, and go slow.

Back