tracking down an oil leak

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My 82 Maxim has a very small oil leak. (coming from that round hole in the picture of its underbelly) Haven't ever needed to add oil yet, but it is embarrassing. I know its an old bike; but its not ready for Depends just yet...

Everything mechanical is a struggle for me and this bike is a heck of a learning experience... I thought I would just pop off the crankcase cover and perhaps see a seal that needed replacing... no such luck. 90% of the damn JIS screws were frozen in. I tried an easy out extractor after watching all the you tube videos and very carefully proceeded to snap the extractor off in the very 1st screw.:banghead: Fortunately I was able to dremel a slot in the screw and loosen the screw with a hammer and screwdriver to start it rotating. Did that about 30 times. However, even with all the screws out, the cover was not about to come off so i thought I'd check with you knowledgeable folks before i do any real serious damage...

The bike runs pretty good - except for the clutch lever I snapped off last week - but I digress. Should I live with this piddlin leak or can someone suggest what / where someone with the ability of a 6th grader might try next. Thanks

Attachments

• underbelly.jpg
    underbelly.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 203
Have you wiped the engine clean before concluding that the round hole is the source of the leak?

Back