Any tips for removing a Maxim 400 exhaust?

wirehairs

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I need to remove the exhausts on 2 different Maxims. It's tricky because the crossover tubes underneath are rusty, and it's hard to pivot everything to remove it because of the head studs, and the studs on the rear pegs. I've tried lots of whacks with a wooden broom handle from opposite sides, but to no avail. At this point, I'm going to drop the engine out of its mounts to see if that allows me to move the whole exhaust off; I need to pull the head for valve work anyways.

If you've figured out tricks to remove this particular exhaust, I'll all ears. If the above idea doesn't work, I'll pullng out my cut-off tool. :(

what exactly is preventing you from taking them off?

I'm pretty sure it's the same on the Seca, and I had no issues at all. Just remove the center stand, screw the header bolts off and remove the bolts on the rear pegs.

You should be able to at least completely free up the rear end, and the slide it forward enough to slide off the header studs

Well, after removing the bolt on the clamp for the connector tube between the two mufflers, I've been unable to separate that joint. I attribute it to typical exhaust system rust... I've put a bunch of penetrating oil on there.

I'm unclear why removing the centerstand is needed?

Once you get those two or 1 crossover pipes unbolted and exhaust head bolts taken off the exhaust should swing out to the side and come off.Are you going to back with the crossover pipes or run a more free flowing exhaust or just changing from one bike to another?

I have to pull the motor to do some valve work, so that's why I need to yank the exhaust off. I'll be re-using them. So, I guess I have just a particularly rusted connection joint, eh?

If your lucky the joint will come apart in one piece or two actualy but don't expect it that it will.Its likely you`re going to have to do some patch work on the exhaust where the crossover is.

look for kroll-oil. i would let it set over night but this stuff will penetrate a ducks butt. lol. i use it all the time when working on aircraft exhaust, and rusty bolts on sea planes.

I've not separated the two pipes but yea that could be hard to do. Instead, if you keep them attached to each other you could drop them both (if you take off the center stand, that's in the way. or was it the side stand? I'll check later :) ). Should also be easier to separate them once they are sitting on the bench.

or am I saying crazy things? :eek:

I haven't seen the seca or maxium exhaust closeup so Im not sure why you would need to remove the centerstand,if anything the bike would need to be up on a centerstand so you can do your work underneath on the pipes.Unless you have an engine hoist then you can raise the front end up that way.

I've not separated the two pipes but yea that could be hard to do. Instead, if you keep them attached to each other you could drop them both (if you take off the center stand, that's in the way). Should also be easier to separate them once they are sitting on the bench.

or am I saying crazy things? :eek:

crazy words.. :laugh::laugh:

would be easy to take off as unit if possible.:thumbsup:

i have not done this to a maxim but i had a vt700 shadow that i bobbed and i removed the center stand and everything before removing the exhaust in one piece, only to cut it later. not sure if your exhaust is similar but i dont think it could be to different.

I was planning to take the exhaust pipes off my Maxim this weekend to get at some of the rust on the mufflers and polish up the headers. Looks like you should be able to just sit it on the center stand, take off the bolts by the foot pegs, and unbolt the headers and you should be able to pull it straight back.

How rusty are your crossover tubes? I'm wondering if I try removing the rust if I'll be doing more harm than good by removing what substance is there. Is there a rust inhibitor I can just put on the exhaust crossover? Or is it better to get the rust off all together? I don't plan on learning how to weld or buying welding equipment any time soon...

Back