Anyone get carbs clogged all the time?

SoraXS400

1982 XS400
Reaction score
Working on the bike, bought the caliper rebuild kit and put ethanol reducer in the fuel, and everytime the bike sits for over a week, the carbs get clogged with stuff. Right now my pilot jets are clogged, so I have to pull the carbs again. Doing the msf course today so I won't be able to do it... :/

If you know the bike is going to sit for more than a couple days, and you can only get E10 (crap) fuel, why don't you drain the float bowls? And add fuel stabilizer to every tank of fuel to help prevent corrosion.

Use a fuel filter. What crap are you getting? If it's brown it's rust not ethanol.

If you know the bike is going to sit for more than a couple days, and you can only get E10 (crap) fuel, why don't you drain the float bowls? And add fuel stabilizer to every tank of fuel to help prevent corrosion.

I've only put 98 octane in and used an ethanol reducer, no ethanol based fuel.

98? Who sells that. All pump gas I ever see is 93 (ethanol). This year I have been running 91 (non-ethanol) If you have a non-ethanol fuel you don't need a ethanol helping additive. If the filter is old or has gunk in it replace it. Also fine rust can still get through if you tank is bad inside.

98? Who sells that. All pump gas I ever see is 93 (ethanol). This year I have been running 91 (non-ethanol) If you have a non-ethanol fuel you don't need a ethanol helping additive. If the filter is old or has gunk in it replace it. Also fine rust can still get through if you tank is bad inside.

I live in South east MI right now and my local mobil sells 89, 93, 98, and 110 and the former 3 have some ethanol.

The tank was cleaned thoroughly with alcohol and vacuums, new fuel filter as well. I live in a sandy area so it could be sand coming through the air filter, I never checked that.

Took out the pilot jets, blew em out with air, then the air propelled the jet away :laugh:
Took out some 425 (stock) jets I had left over from a new rebuild kit and threw them in. Started up perfectly and idled steadily, and revved quickly.
May update when I receive the brake parts Tuesday.

Back