Anyone have problems insuring motorcycle?

BamaBill

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've been with State Farm for quite a few years. 2 motorcycles, camper, 3 vehicles and 2 houses insured. Just recieved a notice that the insurance on my xs400 will be canceled becouse they cannot verify the VIN#. I've taken my title and picture of the VIN lable to them. I also sketched the VIN stamp on the frame & engine to show that they match. They say that they can't help me? WTF! .....Has anyone else had any issue with this?

I have.

Many places are dropping bikes older then 1984 in my area due to 'short VINs'... When i registered my bike i had to go through some hoops with its VIN to get it verified, and instead of using the VIN i now have to use a file case number.

Many insurance companies offerd me terrible or no rates rates, i really only had 1 option.

There is a company in Ont. (can't think of the name) which specializes in insuring vintage bikes over 30 yrs. old.
They give full coverage, however, there are mileage restrictions - 5,000 miles, I think.

That may not help if you are using the bike for primary transport, but for many it is the perfect solution.

Back