Anyone want to help me identify my new bike?

HenryJenkins

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Duluth, MN, USA / Salvador da Bahia, Brazil.
So, I basically just got a new bike for free. It is my first bike, and to be honest, I don't really know too much about them. It runs fine, but is a bit on a project bike.

I am not really sure what the model is, nor the year, but I think it is a XS400. Can anyone help me identify it?

moto.JPG

Last edited:
Definitely an XS400. If whatever's under that seat cover is the original seat, I'd say '79, possibly '78. I lean towards '79. The numbers will tell the tale.

Judging from the picture, I'd say it's an XS400 with a continental kit. LOL. Seriously, it looks just like my 78 XS400E. Same wheels, seat, could be a 78 or 79.

I will ask somebody there to try to get a shot of the numbers when I get a chance, thanks a bunch!

I have never seen the bike in real life, since I am doing an exchange year here in Brazil. It looks like in may need a new seat. Any opinions on if I should fix it and leave it original, or just replace it?

I bought a seat cover from a place on eBay that worked pretty well. It cost about $70 shipped, but it turned out pretty nice:

20189918512124344531065.jpg

It looks like it could be a 1980 xs 400 sg but to be sure you need the first three digits of the vin number. There's more information in those digits than you'd believe.

U.S. model 1977-1979. These bikes had front and rear discs with mag wheels. This option dropped after 1979. If rounded tank is original, not a 1977 - others, am I right about the tank change? Also, rear bar is chromed pipe - was cast solid aluminum on 1980 & 1981. I think '78 & '79s were much the same. Look at Federal I.D. sticker (if still there) for manufacture date. I believe that model came with the higher rise chrome handle bars - my '79 like that did. VIN #start with "2LO"? I think that is found on both '78 & '79.

I would suspest a 2L0 aswell, mine looked preatty much the same, other than the seat cover
Except the rear grab bar, mine didnt have that!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 162
It can be hard to tell what year a bike is sometimes. Over the years people can add or take off parts from other years making them a hodge podge mess:laugh:

I was always under the impression that the finned timing cover was for bikes with points and condensor but the smooth cover was used with the capaciter discharge system ????
If thats true then it looks like a 80 - 82 model.

They use the smooth caps in the 78-79 models as well. The 80-82 where smooth but much thicker.

Back