Are electrical components interchangeable between years?

Back on the original situation (unfortunately)

I have done pretty much every test i can think off and i can't see anything wrong with anything on my bike, except when i test the wires going into the safety relay i get a reading around 11.5v.. I assume that since its a 12v headlight it won't run, or even trip the relay until its 12v?

When my bike is fully charged and i rev it i can see the charging works, and my stator and field coils pass all the tests in the manual and it also passed the razor blade test.

I am having a bit of trouble measuring the resistance in the rectifier so I am assuming that is my issue... Would a bad rectifier cause weak voltage at the relay ? Or is this just a case of dirty contact, i plan on cleaning them but i won't both if i have to replace the rectifier anyway..

Bump for any help on if dirty/poor contacts would lead to a drop in voltage?

and if the knows what voltage the relay needs before it activates?

I figured :/

Any idea what could be causing me to have about 1.5v drop?

I tested everything again last night and its all right on what my Clymer manual says it should be, the battery started out perfectly charged, when i rev it will progress nicely up to around 14.5 at high revs, the rest of my lights and signals work but when i take a reading at the SR it always seems to be just below the battery charge by 1.5v-ish.. So at full charge its just under 12...

Could this be the result of just old wires and crap on the contacts? or is something else going on here?:banghead:

I am sure, it matches the relay that I had previously, which I assumed was stock since it was really old looking and seemed to be broken (I could hear the contacts banging around when I shook it). Thee seller also stated it was for a 79...

Bumping because this is still my only issue keeping this bike from getting safetied and plated... which i really need to happen.

I want to re explore the idea of bypassing the safety relay at the neck under the tank.. I know its getting ~11.9V there, and i know i have had my bike running with less then that and i doubt Yamaha would make it so that headlight would turn off in the middle of a ride if you dipped below 12v (we've been there).

So to me this means the headlight should work with <12v, which means i should be able to jumper it and skip the relay.

I have 4 wires, Red, Yellow, Blue and Black.. I get the voltage reading between Red and Black... My assumption is to connect the Red and Black completing the circuit and the Yellow and Blue.. but this is a complete GUESS. Can anyone help on which wires to connect to bridge the relay?

Still not sure what is causing this problem but i have ordered a new rectifier. I have tested the connections coming form the stator and field coil and they both test within normal specs, and the battery voltage raises and falls with the RPMs to a max around 14.5v which is within specs.

This means that stator and field coil are charging, and the regulator is working as it should. This only leaves the Safety relay and the Rectifier. I have already replaced the relay with a new one so i can only assume this issue is caused by the rectifier not functioning properly...

Still wondering if someone with some electrical knowledge can help me by-pass the safety relay. If i can do that and it still doesn't work, then i know its the rectifier.

Any electrical guys here?

Back