Auto-cancelling unit....

Jeff0133

XS400 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the auto-cancelling unit from a DOHC?
Why?....Why Not?
What would it entail?
One less relay to worry About?
For....Against?
Let me know, as I am tempted to remove mine, after two days of gremlin chasing...I know it is not this that is the culprit but...it would be one less thing to worry about down the road.

I removed mine years ago when I switched to LED bulbs and a new flasher relay.

Since you have replaced your speedo, the auto-cancel won't function. There is a distance counter in the stock speedo for the system to function. You might as well remove it and the associated wiring.

Just what I was thinking while looking at the wiring diagram with my coffee...
So i guess it is on to some more cutting/soldering then.
Now would a LED indicator on the new Speedo backfeed into the flasher circuit thus rendering the relay inoperative?:umm:

Now would a LED indicator on the new Speedo backfeed into the flasher circuit thus rendering the relay inoperative?:umm:
Err... LED = Light Emitting Diode. The LED can't back feed power. That said, you bike was wired for separate signal indicators. If you have combined the left and right circuits for one indicator, then you have joined both circuits. You will have to install blocking diodes to prevent all the lights flashing.

Fixed!...grounded the relay straight to battery negative, and it works!...So I had a bad ground somewhere.

Do you have the chassis grounded to the battery? When I rewired my bike I made a central ground point that is connected to the battery, in addition to the engine ground.

Back