bad starter clutch help

Tansar

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a 1980 xs400

The current owner says that the bike runs great and everything works, except that the starter clutch is bad.

He says that it is a 700$ repair at the dealership

I have a couple of questions:

1. does the bad starter clutch only affect the electric starter for the bike? / will I still be able to easily kickstart the bike?

2. Can it be replaced using basic hand tools and elbow grease?

3. If I did the repair myself, how much would a new starter clutch cost?

4. If I can't start the bike, how do I make an informed decision on whether or not to buy it?

Thanks for all the help

Hello tansar, i did some checking for you with a good friend that owns a repair shop and he is telling me that with the starter clutch bad the bike will start with the kick starter, with that being said, without him seeing the bike he couldnt be sure that the starter clutch being bad, it could just be that it might have a bad starter being that the bike is 30+ years old. as far as the bike goes, i wouldnt purchase the bike without hearing it run with not knowing how the motor sounds unless you have money to put into it. repairs and shop rates can add up fast. there are too many bikes out there for sale. I just bought a 1980 xs400 for $400 it runs great with only 17,000 miles on it. As far as doing it yourself, it can be done if you feel that you have some sort of knowledge of doing it yourself (please dont take that the wrong way) and you get a manual, i just bought a manual off ebay. the bike should start with the kicker, i would do a tune up and clean the carbs,air filters,etc and make sure the battery is charged, even if your using the kick start there are other electronics on the bike plus it will help with the coils and give it a stronger spark. as far as your decicion wherther to purchase the bike i would want to hear it run. Hope that this helps, good luck and let me know if you have any other questions, my friend has alot of knowledge with these yamahas. :) If you decide to purchase the bike a good tune up, oil change, etc would be on my to do list first.

Hopefully it's not like mine,no kickstarter or place to hook one up!Good thing that the starter is good,'82 xs400rj seca lha

I have an 82 xs400 not sure what model.. so far a pain in the electrical...first no spark then spark then sluggish starter...sect sect...

So the starter clutch is under the stator cover, so thats 2 gaskets, all secured in by M4 or M5 allen wrench. But then you have two electrical wires bundles running to the top of the bike near the battery, that may need to be drawn down for relief. If you find out those bundles are brittle, you can fix that while your in there too. You will have too ebay the gasket kits, It seems they are falling of circulation. Mechanically I think its straight forward and pretty easy. my last time in there was for the charging system. 2 years ago. If you get it cheap enough, it becomes a labor of love, Then its just time, $$, it will go. Good luck Tobie

Might as well do an oil change, since the bike will be on the center stand, and all the oil will want to come out too.

Back