baffles in straight pipes

ratrodder69

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
First off I'm sorry if this has been covered before I'm on my phone and the search feature won't work I'm planning on running a new exhaust to look like straight pipes but I want to put in the stubby baffles to keep the MAN off my boy's back he's 16 so he'll have enough of those problems as well as to give it a little back pressure. So the question is have any of you guys done this and how was the sound compared to straight pipes and would anyone have a video with sound so I can hear how its going to sound? If it makes it to obnoxious I'll just run them straight

Posted via Mobile

I've read of a couple of forum members who installed baffles in short or straight pipes. The consensus is it works well, but buy a quality baffle.

Thanks guys. I like those kindest that's what I was going to use but now I'm thinking about a high and tight set of pipes running next to the cylinders so I'm going to have to just baffle them

Posted via Mobile

Would it be possible to run straight pipes, but like a couple sizes up from the headers, installed on reducers. Inside the straight pipes install baffles but wrapped in a bit of muffler pack secured with stainless steel ties until the tone/levels are honed ?

Theres 1 1/2 baffle that's made but I don't think it will fit in the inner pipe.Your best bet for a free flowing exhaust and if you don't mind loud get a set of slash cut screaming eagle Harley mufflers that still have the baffles.You can usualy find them cheap on Craigslist almost new pretty cheap at least I can in my area.Ohter wise the emgo shorties work just as good and aren't as loud.They can be found as low as $20 each if you shop around.

If you want the LEO's to leave the boy alone put on mufflers. The bike will be much easier to tune, sound better, run better.
Leo

I know I could do these different but I like the style they are going black with chrome heat shields. so you can see that mufflers are not an option. we want them to be loud but don't want a fix it ticket every time he gets pulled over.

thanks scorp Ive been thinking of using some of the short cheep baffles off ebay or the lollipop "baffles" that Ive seen have any of you guys used either one or heard a bike run with them? I would love to be able to hear one run with them. I tried the baffle type in my iron head chopper and they made it sound like a chainsaw so I just pulled them out I just don't want to spend the few bucks to get them if its going to make the bike sound worse.

Back