Ballistic Performance: EVO2 Performance Battery

midtown

Effin' New Guy
Reaction score
To make a long story short, my bike has a crap battery. I've kept the battery on a tender, I've gone for long rides rolling high RPMs to try to charge the battery, and it still has problems maintaining a charge. After a great amount of frustration, I decided to finally replace the battery. I took a chance with the new Ballistic Performance EVO2 8-cell battery. Take a look:

Ballistic Performance

It came in the mail today:

DSCN0802.JPG

DSCN0803.JPG

So, I went ahead and removed the old battery, but decided I wanted to get some good footage of the "before" so I can appreciate the "after". In both videos, the bike is trying to start with a cold engine. Here you go:

So, as I expected, no start on a pitiful battery. Here's a quick size/weight comparison of the batteries:

DSCN0812.JPG

The EVO2 weighs in at about 1lb 10oz. The BikeMaster weighs about 10 pounds (5 pounds dry. I don't have a scale, so 10 pounds is an approximation).

Now, for the replacement:
DSCN0815.JPG

The new battery is much smaller, so the stock terminal leads won't quite reach. This is about how far they will reach:
DSCN0817.JPG

No fun. I'm rather impatient, so I decided to do a quick work-around until I have the chance to build some sort of extension for one of the power leads:
DSCN0819.JPG

Power!

It this point, the battery is off the bike and sitting on my kitchen table. I'm going to buy a small piece of cable to extend the NEG end of the lead from the bike. Finally, I'm going to use some of the foam packing material that the battery came with to secure it in the roomy compartment left by the old battery.

Bottom line; I highly recommend this battery. It is expensive, but seeing my bike start that quickly with a cold engine is enough to convince me at this point. It will be a welcome change from what has been essentially a frequently-stalling bump-start-and-kick-start-only bike.:bike:

If I have any issues with the battery in the foreseeable future, I'll post the details here.

You will not be disappointed. I was VERY skeptical, but it performed as advertised, and it is so much lighter than the old lead-acid batt.

You will not be disappointed. I was VERY skeptical, but it performed as advertised, and it is so much lighter than the old lead-acid batt.

would i still need and 8cell if im only running kick start only,headlight,brake light and blinkers ?

would i still need and 8cell if im only running kick start only,headlight,brake light and blinkers ?

I'm not sure. I know that the kick-start works GREAT on my bike now if the electric start doesn't start it right away. If you have the room for it, I'd say go for the 8-cell. It's small and light; easy to tuck away and hide if you want to. It's a solid battery with no liquid inside at all, so you can mount it sideways, upside-down, etc.

If you are going kick only a small gell battery will work ok also. I use a 1.2ah battery in my tracker and after 1500 miles still works fine, and it only cost me $9 and weighs 1lb 3oz:thumbsup:

This battery I got off ebay two years ago and I had it in another bike for 1000miles before I used it in my 400:bike:

Last edited:
On the Ballistic website, you can key in other bike models and it will tell you how many cells it recommends.
- e.g., for an xs500 and another 400 cc. bike it recommends only a 4 cell. I assume these must be dirt bikes or bikes with kick-start only. If you Google and can verify that your kick-only bike has the same or less electrical load as those particular models, could you not assume that a 4 cell would be enough?

I posted elsewhere that I wanted a good battery. THIS looks like just what I had in mind.

I found a guy on Ebay who is here in Michigan and have sent a email.

I'll give a report when I know more.
Thanks for the information.

Larry

Since the EC02 is smaller and the leads won't fit, you might try putting something under the new battery to lift it up to the same level as the OEM battery as opposed to extending the leads.

but seeing my bike start that quickly

wow thats quick for you??!! lol I was going to say you need to do something cause thats not normal. Mine starts on one kick cold or warm, on first start up of the day I just twist the throttle a few times give her choke and then give her a kick and she usually fires straight up on one or two kicks. I did just rebuild the motor though and all the leads and spark plugs are new and its freshly timed and valve clearances done. But I still reckon you can get your to start a bit quicker than that, your gonna kill your starter motor eventually! Thanks for the write up on the battery, definatly gave your starter motor heaps more juice, im probably going to get one of these :thumbsup:

wow thats quick for you??!! lol I was going to say you need to do something cause thats not normal. Mine starts on one kick cold or warm, on first start up of the day I just twist the throttle a few times give her choke and then give her a kick and she usually fires straight up on one or two kicks. I did just rebuild the motor though and all the leads and spark plugs are new and its freshly timed and valve clearances done. But I still reckon you can get your to start a bit quicker than that, your gonna kill your starter motor eventually! Thanks for the write up on the battery, definatly gave your starter motor heaps more juice, im probably going to get one of these :thumbsup:

To be honest, I rarely use the starter when the engine is cold. With the new battery, the bike fires to life with one or two kicks. :D

To be honest, I rarely use the starter when the engine is cold. With the new battery, the bike fires to life with one or two kicks. :D

WOW either you have a better leg than or I have too much compression/internal drag.
I tried to kick start one time and SOB not for me:yikes:

WOW either you have a better leg than or I have too much compression/internal drag.
I tried to kick start one time and SOB not for me:yikes:

I've noticed that it's easier to kick-start when it's on the center stand. I just stand on the pegs and kick. That way, I'm putting all of my weight on it without the shocks absorbing the kick.

I've noticed that it's easier to kick-start when it's on the center stand. I just stand on the pegs and kick. That way, I'm putting all of my weight on it without the shocks absorbing the kick.

Well maybe I am just a wimp but weigh over 200 lbs.
I have a big problem getting it up on the center stand too.:shrug:

Back