Baseline A/F Mixture Screw - 82 Maxim

gaillarry

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Got the engine back together, new rings, valve seals, and lapped the valves. Had to tweak the idle screw to get it running but the manual says the a/f screws are preset. I have them set a 1.5 turns out. Anyone know the proper setting?

I suggest to check out the "tech" section of this site, it'll give you the answer and more. Very helpful info there. Or, use the search function and you can peruse the many threads already covering this topic.

The "proper setting" is what ever is required to get the bike to idle smoothly and transition to part throttle without stumbling. Anywhere from 2 to 3.5 turns out might be close. You will have to set each carb to idle the best. Idle speed should be 1200 RPM.

Don't forget to sync the carbs when done. Then adjust the idle mixture again. Then sync again. Have fun! :)

I used the information in the tech section to get started. From there, just as Dave said. There's no "universal" setting for all our bikes. As long as you have an idea of where to start, you'll get your bike running how it should. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress :)

2 1/2 turns is how I went,I found I didnt have to make alot of adjustment from there.One side ran good at 23/4 turns while the other was about 3 turns.

Back