<<bates style HD headlight question>>

Dockman

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So Im looking to install a bottom mount bates style head light on my 1982 xs400. From what I have read on other forms I need one that pulls 12V 35/35. All the ones I have found are 50/65 hd none sealed units.

1.So my question is can I buy a 50/65 and just replace the bulb with a 35/35.?

2. is ther anything else that I might need to know when swapping over to HD, other than drawing too much from the charging system and finding a place to hide all the wires?

Bellow is an example of what im looking for, any help will be much appreciated thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-BRONZ...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0da41f23&vxp=mtr

I've been looking into replacing my head light as well. I don't want to re-wire or try to hide the wires right now, so I'm going for a factory replacement style. Anyways, in my research I found that the DOHC bikes have a bigger alternator and can handle the 50/65 bulb. For the SOHC bikes I have read you can run the 50/65 but it does dim with signals and low idle. To take care of that problem someone replaced their signal bulbs with LED replacements and said they had no problems. Hope this helped. I found all this stuff by using the search function, by the way.

Back