Battery ideas

Shaun Chandler

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm looking into the battery choices I have for my bike and I was hoping to go with the supper small option that I could tuck into the electrical tray under my seat.

I know Drewpy used some sort of alarm battery (mabey he can comment more). In fact I'm hoping he will. What type of battery are you using drew (sealed lead acid?) and since driving the bike lately have you been happy with its performance?

The options when it comes to actual motorcycle batterys don't really impress me as they are to damn thick. I want my tray to be as thin as possible about 1 1/4" hopefully.

I work with an electronics teacher and I talked to him today about what would be the best option. We did abit of searching and found some sealed lead acid batterys that can be mounted in multiple positions from computer back up units. They are cheap and small.

The option I liked most was using two 6 volt batterys mounted in series. They are less then an inch thick and no more then 5 inches long. I was told these would be easy to install and setup to work with our charging system.

I should also mention I'm not using the starter. Has anyone tried using this type of setup. I will be fabingup the tray to suit the battery and welding it into the frame. It would be a real pain to go back and change later if this setup ends up sucking.

Shaun

the battery I fitted is a Yuasa alarm battery @ 2.1 amp. It's fitted where the seat hump begins and won't fit tube height.

da999b12.jpg

no issues at all and no dimming of lamps on tick over.

running;
horn, tci, rear stop/tail twin "bulb" LED, front projector lamp @ 35amps H3 lamp.

there was a guy on TCU who fitted a fag packet sized battery on his xs650, 1 amp though.

Last edited:
Drew. Thanks for the response. I didn't realize it was a Yuasa battery. Thats good to know its worked for you. I may go ahead and order the two 6 volt batteries and run them in series. They will be nice and small I'll post pics if I end up going with it. Bikes been at a standstill for awhile with other obligations but I'm hoping at x-mas I get going again.

Charles. Thats awesome I like those. I wonder about charging though. I don't beleive my standard trickle charger will work with lithium ion. But its worth looking into further. If its going to take further mods to the charging system I may stick with the lead acid type which won't take any serious mods. The beauty of the battery you mentioned is if the two six volt ones I'm trying don't work that will fit in the same space.

Thanks Guys

Shaun

Sorry I read Lithium and just assumed lithium ion. I read the faq thanks. Mabey I'll look at that option instead. It's close to the same price I was looking at for the two six volt units. Thanks Charles

Shaun

Back