battery question

khizer

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I have battery upgrade question. I own a 78 xs400 2e and a friend of mine gifted me a headlight, it looks like a day maker one (see pic). my question is that will the headlight work on the stock wiring? the headlight's power spec is 60w, working voltage is 10-30v (fits 12v, 24v).
The bike came with a battery which is one of those old ones with acid in it and I am thinking to upgrade it to lithium battery since the old battery has seen better days. I read few forums, that upgrading the battery requires complete upgrade of wiring. will someone help me find a lithium battery that would work with stock wiring, will work with the headlight, led turn signals and not upgrading the rectifier etc.
I would really appreciate if someone pm me or reply to this thread with the battery names, or if possible links.
thanks
-khizer
day.JPG

I would get a AGM style battery in the stock AH for your bike. You will have to modify the front of your bike to take that headlight. Also the stock bulb uses 30/40W (1977-79 sohc xs400).

I would get a AGM style battery in the stock AH for your bike. You will have to modify the front of your bike to take that headlight. Also the stock bulb uses 30/40W (1977-79 sohc xs400).
Hey Chris, thanks for your reply. If you get time could you post a link to the battery. I have never shopped for a battery ever in my life and don’t want to end up getting a wrong one. when you say I might have to modify my front end is it mechanically or electrically?
Also, since my stock bulb uses 30/40 w would the new headlight be a problem as it takes 60w? Would using a rectifier help? I don’t want to fry up my bike or put stress on the electrical parts as I am still using the stock wiring.

Not being a stock setup you would need rewire and modify your headlight/bucket area to fit that. I get my batteries at walmart and use regular acid lead type (ES-12-AA). I have had them last for 9 years at times. You just need to keep them full with distilled water and charged. Also store in a warm area for the winter months. A agm battery is better and will cost more but I have never had a need for anything better than stock.

Back