Best type of gear and costs - UK

Buccaneer

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK having more or less got my bike sorted I'm hoping to be back on the road imminently!

Today girlfriend & I went to local Yamaha dealer in Worthing to see about lids for 2 and a jacket for her (she doesn't want to wear leathers if at all possible). I was already lucky finding a really heavy duty bikers leather jacket second-hand in Brighton - it was in very good condition and they only took 40 quid for it. Ta very much 'Immediate' in Sydney Street, nice one!

Anyway, the dealer spent most of the time moaning about how everyone comes into his shop trying things on in order to then eff off and buy them online. I can appreciate how annoying this must be to someone trying to run an honest business, but on the other hand it's not a great way of making new friends and getting a nice friendly buzz going either!

I haven't been riding for 15 years but before that was keen and had done a fair bit of general riding and touring. Then I had a couple of AGV full-face fibreglass lids, and I'm sure back in the 80s they only cost about 50 quid, but maybe my brain's on the blink! Certainly I never dreamed of buying cheaper lids then.

OK to the point at last. Is there genuinely a major safety difference between polycarb and fibreglass lids for moderate speed riding? We shouldn't be going much over 70 mph ever, probably more like 50 to 60 two-up maximum most days.

Is 220 quid a sensible MINIMUM (our dealer's best quote) price to pay for a full face fibreglass lid? A quick look on eBay soon revealed some AGVs around 150 quid but then again it's not sensible to buy critical safety gear off eBay. We are minded to buy from a local dealer, but not if it's a terrible rip off. Will try some of the scooter places in Brighton next to see about their prices.

Sturdy boots are essential (found out the hard way before), we both have strong walking boots already and plan to use those at least to start with. If we end up doing lots of miles we can maybe step up to biker boots later.

What do people think about riding in jeans (maybe 2 pairs). It's all I ever used back in the day and pretty much got away with it then... buying leather trousers for 2, what with fibreglass lids, jackets, and other gear, the costs could really get steep. Probably about as much as the bike cost anyway! On the occasion I really did my ankles in that was about a 40mph spill, had 2 pairs of jeans on, and I remember my knees hurting a bit, but it really wasn't too bad... just lucky I suppose!

Almost every day it seems some idiot goes by on a huge race bike dressed only in a tee shirt, shorts and trainers. Makes me shudder every time!

Cheers all for any inputs especially on the lids, trousers and what are sensible prices.

In my opinion, a new helmet with a european approval tag (the E-number) which fits well is going to give you as much safety as any helmet can. More expensive kinds of helmets add a lot in comfort, noise reduction and lifespan. And they often look better.

By the way, speed is not the real issue with helmets. It's basically built to resist the impact you would have from falling off your bike, not from actually crashing into a wall or something. Helmets are meant to keep your head in one piece when you would fall head down for about 7 feet.

but that's just my $ 0.02 :)

I agree with willem, finding a WELL FITTING helmet with a proper european approval tag will be enough. Sure, expensive ones keep the noise down, are lighter and probably have more comfortable material inside, but for the most part you won't really notice those bits.

I would suggest you click on ghostbikes, they sell end of line brand new stuff. If you have your sizes even better.

Aldi is also great for biker gear as its TUV approved and they sold unbranded Caberg helmets for £40 ( no frills) and Kevlar jeans for £20.
some peeps (mainly salesmen) say that buy a cheap helment for a cheap head, but its very much legislated out by now.

Don't buy 2nd hand either as little knocks weaken them over time

Hey guys thanks fr the tips! :thumbsup: Will roll down to local Aldi, got good cheap stuff there before. And check out ghostbikes as well.

There is a bike training place round the corner from where we live, I think some of the guys there are genuinely experienced bikers (.. although the boss is much younger than me ;o) ... will get another opinion there and post back here FWIW.

One good thing, we did a car boot at the w'end (selling, to help daughter who's working on a kids support project in Peru). Looking around with a 'weather eye' I found no less than TWO women's leather jackets, both proper biking jackets and both in good nick. I was a bit peeved when the first one, GBP 5.00, didn't quite fit ... what a missed bargain I thought. Then found the second; nicer style, German, brilliant condition, GBP 3.00! Whaaaaa?! And it fitted! And Nicola even agreed to wear it. Bonus ;o)

I would definitely not buy a used helmet but thanks to my 0.5 Scottish background, I have no reservations about boots, gloves, jackets or riding pants, all of which I never fail to wear and all of which I bought used off the Kijiji service we have here.
There's got to be a similar, free "classified ad" service in the UK, if only to serve the vast demand from the Scots.

Hi Lou,

Well we have freecycle, gumtree etc. Its no only the scots who are thrifty you know, in fact after both major Scottish banks have gone tits up that stereotype's rather gone for a Burton!

Ordered a new Caburg lid yesterday. Local scooter shop very helpful, took all the time in the world to fit it properly ... and OK price, thanks Worlds End Scooters.

Going to check out Drewpy's tip of kevlar reinforced jeans from Aldi [supermarket]. If they don't appeal then yes, I'm going to be scouring for used leather jeans... can't say I take to the /idea/ of used jeans as much as used jackets etc, but maybe a clean pair can be found! :D

Hi Lou, Well we have freecycle, gumtree etc. Its no only the scots who are thrifty you know, in fact after both major Scottish banks have gone tits up that stereotype's rather gone for a Burton! ... :D
On an intellectual level, at least, I have always known that more good came out of England than just the road to Scotland. :wink2:
I got a used pair of ICON brand riding pants. Breathable mesh, Kevlar reinforced with hard pads for the back, knees thighs and hip bones. Fit right over a pair of regular jeans. A bit awkward to walk around in but I'm sure I cut a dashing figure zooming by on the bike :thumbsup:

"On an intellectual level, at least, I have always known that more good came out of England than just the road to Scotland." :yikes: :laugh:

Back