big block XS250 (400) Turbocharged

Great build thread! You Aussies don't mess around! Seriously, these guys can turbo charge a toaster. Fantastic country and people. Look forward to going back someday! Keep up the good work!

Well progress has stalled a little but thats just because work is busy atm.

Cylinders are bored for 1.00 oversize pistons and I got stung by the machinist which sucks. New valve seats cut, cases blasted and chemically cleaned, turbo drain welded in, all seals delivered...... just waiting on assembly really.
I need to sand blast the top of the new pistons to ceramic coat them

Dad has started working on the 2-1 manifold for the FCR.

Wheels freshly powder-coated but they have currently lost the backing plate for the rear wheel which is a pain in the ass. Fork sliders being done.

Ill paint and heat set the engine cases next week if I can find a day off. :thumbsup:

The bloke I went to, an old timer, charges $60 for the pair. He set it all up but his machine couldnt quite do it as hes set up for cars and he said his machine was about a thou short.
He sent it to another company without telling me, they charged him $238.5....... His price! (about $250 USD)
He almost fell over, so just charged me what they charged him and gave me their invoice to prove it. I should have gone in there with knee pads on

invoice.jpg

Well heres the update

Powdercoater found the backing plate for the rear wheel and re did the sliders and they are ok now. not good but ok.

I got a brakes place to skim the rear wheel..... they scratched the shit out of it and decided to do the wheel bearings and slug me to do that...... then left out and lost one of the internal spacer, but I got new tyres today and they look good.

IMAG0681.jpg

IMAG0680.jpg

I wanted a 120/90 for the rear but they didnt have it in this brand and the guy assured me this 130/80 should fit....... if not I can bring it back so thats good

Did some baking on Sunday

IMAG0670.jpg

IMAG0671.jpg

IMAG0672.jpg

came out great

IMAG0668.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

ordered some spare parts from the net the other day
Ill start spinning spanners next week

not having much luck with your vendors!

I always make 2 lists with my phone number on, that way they will know what I give them. If its lost then there's the cost of replacing the parts :)

this stops them claiming it weren't in the bits you gave them!

looks good up to now :thumbsup:

My mate welded up the turbo exhaust housing, he did a fantastic job and it didnt warp

IMAG0743.jpg

IMAG0742.jpg

IMAG0731-1.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

Started putting the bottom end together, it took me ages to get the shifter forks and drum right. I shouldnt have pulled it apart in the dark by torchlight.

IMAG0723.jpg

IMAG0721.jpg

Got all engine bolts and brackets re-nickeled, not bad for $100 and it was done in 30 hours!

IMAG0748.jpg

IMAG0747.jpg

They tell me standard nickel is silver and the gold/yellow colour is a dye that goes over the top.
Due to the mining boom in western Australia everything like this costs a fortune now. Perth is now one of the most expensive citys in Australia to live in. Especially if it is a mining related industry such as this or machining

http://m.watoday.com.au/wa-news/per...ost-expensive-cities-list-20110707-1h4l0.html

Awesome build and info. I LOVE spinny things, though I doubt I'll be putting one in my bike. (Will be a budget build challenge :D) But that IHI turbo link should have been hidden from me. I am seriously contemplating ordering several. I'm thinking a turbo push mower and a turbo chainsaw at the minimum :pimp: (Oh, oiling solution nightmares, here I come)

Anyways. Keep up the awesome work. Can't wait to see the "It Lives" post.

Back