Bike only idles and only on choke.

pears

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'm back with some more problems.

I picked up a battery a few days ago, filled it with acid and charged it up.

Now, when I can actually get my bike started, it only runs on choke and when I try to give it some throttle, it dies. I've used the search function, and most of the time it seems like the answer is "Clean the carbs" but it seems to differ from time to time. And, I just cleaned them and it ran perfectly fine(being jumped by a car) a few weeks ago.

The one negative wire is hooked up, and one of the positive wires is hooked up. This way, when I turn the key, all the lights come on, and with some work I can kick start it. Now, there seems to be two positive wires that go to the battery. One works like I just said, but the other when touched to the terminal, just starts the bike right up. No buttons, it just starts. But still only idles.

I've checked and the steel bars going down the center of the carbs, with the diaphragms on them, still go up and down smoothly.

Thanks for any help..

I'm already picking up some carb cleaner and re cleaning them if you guys think that's the problem.

Be sure to clean the Jets in your carbs really well. Could be the problem.
As for the +cable that starts your bike, maybe try to take apart you start switch and see if its stuck on or welded together or something. That's an easy place to start anyway

Be sure to clean the Jets in your carbs really well. Could be the problem.
As for the +cable that starts your bike, maybe try to take apart you start switch and see if its stuck on or welded together or something. That's an easy place to start anyway

I will.

As of now, I know for a fact that the solenoid is stuck. When I press the electric start button, it just clicks.

Well, I cleaned it out.. Now it empties the fuel tank onto the ground..

Guess I need to get the rebuild kit now, eh?

Ok, now I'm kinda freaking out again.

I just got a nice spray of carb cleaner in my eye.. And it hurt. Bad.

I rinsed it out with water, now it's not burning, it just feels kinda dry. I've heard that's just because of the water.

Is it necessary to actually go to the ER? Like I said, it's not burning really anymore.

I got it in the eye before as well and it does burn. I didn't even rinse it but I didn't get a whole lot. I wouldn't go to the ER about it if it's not burning now. If it's still dry maybe try some visine or something.

Where is it leaking from? The mouth of the carb? You may just have a float hung up. Try smacking it gently a few times with the rubber end of a screwdriver. Or remove the bowl and make sure the floats move up and down nicely.

I got it in the eye before as well and it does burn. I didn't even rinse it but I didn't get a whole lot. I wouldn't go to the ER about it if it's not burning now. If it's still dry maybe try some visine or something.

Where is it leaking from? The mouth of the carb? You may just have a float hung up. Try smacking it gently a few times with the rubber end of a screwdriver. Or remove the bowl and make sure the floats move up and down nicely.

Yeah, after sleeping it's just barely blurry. I'll just remember to wear safety goggles next time. :)

I'll find out exactly where and get back in a little while. My father said that he thinks that it's the float needle. I guess that could be a stuck float.

We took the carbs apart and one of the floats was sticking! Cleaned the pin and it was smooth again.

It ran! My father rid it up and down the driveway! The brakes work as of now. I know it needs new brakes, and I plan on it before I do much else.

It seemed to drive pretty good. Only major problem is it seems to be backfiring. Alot. We couldn't much with it as it's quite dark out here now, but the headlight still works! And both front blinkers! Back ones aren't on it as of now. Only light out is the RPM gauge.

Might not be much more to get the stock Yamaha ones from a local dealer.
I think mine worked out to $35 Canadian each.

If you buy the cheapo filters, you should get 2 for the price of the one in the link you posted. Just Google xs400 airfilter

Might not be much more to get the stock Yamaha ones from a local dealer.
I think mine worked out to $35 Canadian each.

Checking now.

If you buy the cheapo filters, you should get 2 for the price of the one in the link you posted. Just Google xs400 airfilter

That's true, like this. http://www.motoparthub.com/HFA4402_...U31xcwTjcZlm1iovPhEt0JBUqR7yMAjd81xoCssbw_wcB

Call me paranoid, but I really don't like ordering from anywhere but Ebay/Amazon/etc. Maybe MikesXS, but after shipping they're not much cheaper. And the ones off of ebay have free 4 day.

If you are using the stock airbox, I'd go with BBS360's recommendation though. The OEM filters will be much better than the aftermarket Taiwan/China junk.

If you are using the stock airbox, I'd go with BBS360's recommendation though. The OEM filters will be much better than the aftermarket Taiwan/China junk.

Stock airbox.

Where do I find the # for the filters? Buying from a dealership is just that much better for me, so I hope I can find them!

EDIT: Found it, but it doesn't seem like any of the dealers go back past 86' in their OEM part lists..

Call up a dealer close to you and ask, I know the one around me had them (at least they did 2 years ago)

I'll probably call em' up tomorrow.

And it's actually the speedometer that doesn't light up. Does that mean I need a new one, or can you buy a light for it?

The bike idles great! Choke off it idles at just over 1000 RPM, which I heard is pretty normal. Only problem still is the backfiring. I've done some research and it seems that it could be the carbs not being in sync? Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet..

Last edited:
You want the BP series plugs. The DR8s will not fit. They're for the dohc SECAs and Maxims.

You want the BP series plugs. The DR8s will not fit. They're for the dohc SECAs and Maxims.

Ohhhh... Good thing I didn't get them yet. That means I have to get them ordered in.. It seems nowhere carries the BP series..

When I type that in the search, it pulls up the right one, but it also pulls up many others like ACDelco, Champion etc. Is there a model from one of them that fits?

Back