Bike won't start after rebuild.

I sprayed starter fluid in each spark plug hole and tried to start it. Gave a little pop and then that was it. So I'm getting spark when they are screwed into the motor.

Ok so some good news. I had the carbs and air box off and tried starting the bike and sparyed starting fluid in the intake boots and it started to start up. So I figured it must be the carbs. Since I had them off I re-adjusted the float height to 26mm and made sure it was exact. Put them back on and after a couple times trying to start it up it finally started and ran. I don't have the airbox on and filters so it is running a little rough but my question is that it seems the started motor is still spinning when the bike is running. It should stop once the bike is started correct? Was causes it to cut off. The wiring harness in my first post shows how I have it wired up. Thanks.

I also switched my key ignition. It is a turn key like in a car. Thinking maybe I had a faulty switch I replaced it with another I had laying around but it is doing the same thing. Starter motor still running when the bike is running.

So I think the reason the stater kept spinning is because the switch would get stuck on the open turn position. I don't think the bike was actually running it was like the start button was stuck pushed down (or the key being turned in my case). Replaced the switch and it doesn't get stuck on now but it tries to start when I turn the key but as soon as I let go it doesn't keep going. I'm thinking it is probably a wiring issue since it has been rewired. Don't think it is a carb issue as I've had them off how many times but who knows at this point. Attached is a video showing me starting the bike. You can hear it want to start and run but once I let go of the key it dies. Any ideas? It's so close to being done.

You have some wiring issues there. Maybe the type of switch you are using.

Yes there is definitely a wiring issue. This is a silly question but what supplies power to the spark plug once the bike is running and you are not pushing the start button anymore?

The type of switch is a four position spring return switch similar to a car ignition. I've used these same switches on other bike and it's nice because it combines the key, kill and star button in one but I always forget how these are wired. I think I have it correct. It is wired how it is in my first post wiring diagram. Some how I'm not getting power to the coils once I let go of the start button (key turn).

Looks to me like the power wire to the coils (red w/ white?) should be connected to IGN on your key switch, rather than the starter solenoid. Just a guess...

So I wasn't getting power to the coils when the key was turned to on only when the key is turned to start the bike. The starter relay has a red/white and blue/white coming off of it.
Blue/White is hooked to the start post on the switch. I attached a jumper from the starter relay red/white to the Ign post on the switch like 16VGTIDave suggested. I am now getting power to the coils when the switch is turned to on. I also have power to the coils when I turn the key to start. The problem now is when I turn the key to start the starter motor doesn't do anything. The starter doesn't crank at all. I have voltage at the coil with turned to on and when I turn to start the voltage goes up. Is this correct?

So I think I finally got this bike all wired up correctly. Man what a nightmare this one was. The bike now starts with both electrical and kickstart and is charging the battery. Just need to finish up a couple small things and it should be ready to ride. I'll post some pics once it's light out tomorrow. I've also attached the updated wiring diagram incase anyone ever wants to wire the four position spring key switch basic wiring. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• WiringDiagramXS400Cafe2.jpg
    WiringDiagramXS400Cafe2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 313
Which keyswitch did you use? Also how easy to adapt blinkers and kill switch into your diagram? Hate wiring

Which keyswitch did you use? Also how easy to adapt blinkers and kill switch into your diagram? Hate wiring

It's just a simple switch from a auto parts store. Has four positions on back. Ignition, Batt, Accesories, and the one in the middle is for the start. Here is a link to one.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CTI0/85936.oap?ck=Search_key+switch_-1_3229&keyword=key+switch

I hate doing electrical too. It wouldn't be that hard to add in blinkers. I don't have the stock diagram in front of me but you would probably wire them into the acc. post. and you would need the flasher relays. Below is a pic of where I mounted the key switch. Nice and simple next to the side cover.

Attachments

• KeySwitch.JPG
    KeySwitch.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 263
  • CafeLeft.JPG
    CafeLeft.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 265

Oh and for the kill switch I just turn the key to kill the bike. You could wire in a simple toggle switch between the power line and the key switch to make a kill switch.

Back