Blinkers acting strange

12lanj01

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I recently bought a 1983 XS400 Seca and the blinkers are acting strange. Below is a video of my situation and I will describe it here too:

So there are two main problems. The first is the clicking sound when I turn on the blinker. When I turn it on (especially the left side), there is a loud clicking sound and the blinker doesn't go off immediately; it takes a full 2 seconds of this clicking sound before the blinker actually turns on.

The second problem is that the left blinker blinks twice as fast as the right blinker. Any explanations or solutions to these problems? Thanks.

Not sure about the funny sound but how's the battery charge and have you tried it with the bike running? The electronics won't necessarily behave the same off the battery cold as they will off a running engine.

A bulb will flash faster when it's about to burn out. A new bulb in the front or rear left sides should resolve that.

Thanks for the response. I have tried it when it is running and it does the same thing (maybe it clicks for a slightly shorter interval).

In regards to the front left light- I just replaced it yesterday with a new bulb. It was a 55 watt halogen bulb I believe which is what was in the blinker before.

I have the manual for the '82. Stock bulbs on it would be 21W each and the flasher relay is rated for 2 of them plus the 3.4W indicator for a total of 43.4W.

The '83 would likely be the same. A 55W bulb would have a lower resistance, possibly behaving like a 21W near the end of its life.

Do you have a link to where I can buy the proper bulbs for it? Also, are the bulbs that I have on it okay? Or will there be bad results in the future if I just keep them on?

Do you have a link to where I can buy the proper bulbs for it? Also, are the bulbs that I have on it okay? Or will there be bad results in the future if I just keep them on?

From what BB360 says it seems like you're putting a big strain on your electricals, which is never good. Likely your wiring isn't rated for the amps of the light you installed, which is your reason for the slow start up of the light and the strange clicking. I advise you get the proper light before you burn your wiring up.

Honestly I haven't had to buy bulbs yet. They're a standard size. Googling 1983 XS400 Seca flasher bulb brought up some results. There is a yamaha part number for the bulbs in the parts diagram that will also get results.
Should be able to bring an old one into an automotive shop and buy one with the same base in the appropriate wattage.

If it were a SOHC bike you might run into charging issues with the higher load from the 55W bulbs but it looks like the Seca has a better alternator.
You might already be burning out the flasher relay though. Either get the right bulbs or a flasher relay with a higher rating.

I am sure a 55w bulb is way to high a wattage. The blinker works on the amps going through it, if its not an electronic replacement, (i dont want to get into detail on that here)
Any auto parts store should be able to hook you up with the appropriate replacement bulbs.... make sure they are the same on the front and the same on the rear, also make very sure your grounds are good and clean..... a bad ground will make electrical stuff do very wacky things.

Back