Blowing Main Fuse, HELP!?

cafenewb

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Ok.... I didn't want to start a thread about this but i'm getting desperate. I tore into the wiring on my 82 maxim, thought I had it dialed and kept blowing my main fuse (20 amp). Everytime I turned the ignition to on, it would blow. I traced all my wires and found nothing, so I got frustrated and just ordered a new OEM harness off ebay. :mad:

I went and plugged that in today, and same problem! :wtf: I got it to turn over a couple times, but then just kept blowing that fuse. Am I missing something incredibly basic here or what? Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations?

Thanks!

Check the condition of your fuse box. I went through a short stint where my main would blow whenever the bike had power and it turned out that my fuse box was super worn and was causing that fuse to short.

The fuse box appears to be in great condition. All of the wires to/from it are clean, nothing is shorting out, etc.
Any other ideas? I find it weird that it's happening with both wiring harnesses.

I normally unplug every electical component when I'm blowing fuse and plug them one at a time. basically the ignition switch and battery first. It's time consuming but I was able to find problems that way.. If it blows on the first step.. then somewhere in the wire or the actual ignition switch is bad.

Where do you live in salt lake. I could help you. I just finished my bike and all of the electrical works great so far. I only have ridden it about 5 miles but no problems so far. I built my harness from scratch so I have a good idea of whats going on with the electrical on the dohc models. It might cost you some beer and meal though :D

^ that would be awesome. I live in the Millcreek area. I'll shoot you a private message.

But, one thing I haven't thought of involving the grounds is if it's necessary to have every single ground connected. I've been trying to start it with no blinkers or tail light. Are the grounds for those required to make it work?

Does anyone have other recommendations? I have no way to transport this beast so i'm trying to get it running myself, rather than call a mechanic to come to my house.

I just can't think of how it would be starting randomly from time to time but blowing fuses other times. It makes me think that there is a ground that I missed that happened to be touching metal one of the times, however, i'm positive all of my grounds (aside from the ones for the lights) were connected.

Back