Bolt size on triple tree...HELP!

Nep1982

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys somehow the bolt in between the forks (under the ignition module) has run away! This is on my '82 400 maxim. The cycle shop said that it is discontinued when asked to order one, and inconveniently they don't know the size. Does anyone know the size, length, pitch, etc? I've called a few graveyards, so I might get lucky, but otherwise does anyone know where to locate one?
Thanks for any help!
Oh, I got the carbs rebuilt an it's running great! Now I just want to drive it down the road safely! :)

Bc, I havnt been able to get a pic up via cell phone, but it is the steering stem crown bolt. Saw a pic of it on bikebandit.com, but it's been discontinued.

I checked ebay real quick and didn't find anything, but I can measure one for you. I think a lot of people keep them and sell the entire triple tree.

The earlier model bolts are available (less than $2). It looks like the newer one has a second inner bolt, probably to allow access for grease. I only have an earlier model one to measure anyway. For less than $2 I would gamble and assume they are the same size.

I just pulled mine. If you mean the big bolt in the picture, it's a 14mm diamater bolt, 20mm long, with 13 threads to the 20mm (so that's what, a .7 pitch?)

wpid-2012-04-25-11.17.22.jpg

wpid-2012-04-25-11.17.48.jpg

The little screw and the washer are stock, but I don't know why. They don't hold anything on, and the threaded hole in the middle of the bolt doesn't go anywhere.

But if you're a perfectionist, the top of the big bolt is a 22mm head. I suspect that any 14mm diameter bolt will fit (note, that's not the same as a 14mm bolt, which would mean the head is 14mm...)

Thanks for the help guys, should get the replacement from the graveyard by the weekend....$10....hope it stays where it's suppose to. I'll keep u posted!

Perhaps you should take the opportunity to re-torque all of the important bits on the bike. It only took me 10 minutes to give mine a once-over before the first test ride.

Back