Bought first bike, regretting it.

Chris Mireles

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined the forum today. I VERY recently bought what I thought was going to be a project bike to fix up over time. Almost everything was included but in a box. The frame was solid and both wheels, brakes, forks were on the bike. The engine is missing the chain from the starter to the rotor and a few gaskets. Right after I bought, I realized this a was the stupidest decision I have made in a long time. I don't have the money or the know how to do this kind of work. What does everyone think? Should I attempt to sell what I have? Should I keep it and build it? I'm really leaning towards selling but I feel I will have a very hard time doing so.

Chris

Hi Chris!

Feeling a bit overwhelmed are you? That isn't unusual. When approached as a whole, any project can be overwhelming. But if you break it down and compartmentalize it, then you just have a bunch of little tasks to accomplish. Since the only deadline is yours, there is no real pressure. If you need to do some research or learn a skill, take the time and do so! If funds are tight when you need parts, put them on a list and get back to it when you can afford to.

If nothing else, you've found a friendly community to join. Stay a while and do some reading. We have accumulated a substantial amount of information about these bikes over the years. Enough to keep you reading for a few months anyways! If you have questions and can't find the answers here, just ask. Someone probably will be able to help.

stick with it.
there will be time when you see a part and the WTF is this? post a picky up and we'll soon tell you.

As Dave said, little steps, break down the jobs in forks, frame, engine, brakes, electrical(ignition and lights). I'd say have a vision first too whether its a resto or a mod as this will affect what you do to each step.
Lots of reading manuals and pictures first, before you start. Treat it as schooling before you start the job.

you'll start building up meetin local people talent who can help with sandblsating or what ever and you'll end up within a biking community as a bonus.

Thanks for the replies. I feel better after sitting on it for a few days. I do have some family members who are excellent mechanics so they should be able to help too. My goal was to have a very simple scrambler that I could ride to and from class and hit the dirt on the weekends so we will see what happens. Thanks for the encouragement!

Back