Brake fluid

xscafe

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Having a hard timing finding this answer and I'm sure it's simple, but what fluid are you guys running? I got my bike with no fluid and the reservoir caps are faded so I have no idea if it's glycol or silicone fluid.. :banghead:

Just my opinion, but if you are completely dry (and I mean all of it out of the master, lines, and caliper), then use DOT 5. It will last longer and perform better in a wide temperature range.

Otherwise, stick with DOT3 or 4 (can use 5.1 as well). Most stuff you get at local autoparts places will just sell a generic bottle that says 'DOT 3/4 Compatible Fluid'

Don't put dot 5 in a dot 3/4/5.1 system. It will swell everything rubber and lock up Pistons. Don't put dot 3/4/5.1 in a 5 system, it will eat the lines and seals and leak. It's not about mixing them. Although that is also bad.

That is entirely true. Coming from someone who has seen it first hand multiple working a job that requires me to know it in order to keep a roof over my family's heads. I'm sure I could find that answer myself but I figured someone on here would know off the top of their head.

Personally, I wouldn't use DOT 5. Ever. It simply isn't a good brake fluid. It isn't even a good hydraulic fluid.

For our bikes, DOT 3 is more than adequate. Especially if it is changed on a regular basis. I flush mine every spring and it comes out as clean as when it went in.

is dot 1 available? Maybe another option to consider :shrug: Hang on nah thats when they were making it out of a chicken shit and urine mix....

Back