Brake pad wear... I think?

Almost_Infamous

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey lads,

So I've been in the process of replacing my xs400s front brake system, and I pulled the caliper off just to see what's goin' on in there and I'm glad I did because the caliper is not in good form! I also noticed that the brake pads' thickness tapers in the opposite direction of each other, which I thought was a huge problem until I put them together and they fit together perfectly. The pads themselves also appear to be in decent shape. Upon further inspection, I also found a photo of some pads on eBay that appear to be like that as well. I've never seen this before, so is this a normal sort of thing?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0079[1].JPG
    DSC_0079[1].JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC_0080[1].JPG
    DSC_0080[1].JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 291
  • $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 297
They are supposed to look like that ;) Its just how the caliper aligns itself, it's a floating hardware style system instead of the more common (these days) floating rotor.

Haha back at it again answerin' my questions Wolfe :thumbsup: I might just start PMing you directly if you keep gettin in the gate first :bow:

Thanks man

Then we wouldn't all benefit from the shared knowledge.

I was wondering the same thing when I took my calipers apart. Just need to order a new caliper piston and seal kit before putting it all back together.
Might paint the non-contact parts of the rotor too.

Back