Brand new here...

Nuno

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm Luca from Rome, Italy.
I'm building a cafe racer based on a 12E.
Well, there's not much left of the original bike...it took me forever to get where I'm now but I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

so...well...nice too "meet" you all!

Cheers, Luca

Bienvenuto, Luca!

Ci sono photos, si?

Drew

Yes, but not many...when I'm in the garage I work too much and always forget to take pictures of progressions.
Anyhow, I finished to build the bike 2 times just to start over again a few minutes later 'cause I felt I could do better.

The first picture refers to the first version...the seat was just a mock-up. At that time I changed only the handlebar, the headlight and a few other minor details.

The second and third picture ares from an almost complete solution with a CB900 tank, custom seat (coming from OnlyGodKnowsWhere), lower handlebars, Brembo "Serie Oro" (Gold Series) brake caliper and I don't remember what else.

The fourth picture is like it is now...actually no, it's almost complete but I was fitting the new disks on the front wheel so it looks incomplete.
I have now fitted :
- Ducati Monster upside-down fork with new spacers to use the original wheel
- Yamaha R1 discs (320mm)
- Brembo calipers
- Honda XR400 shock
- Honda CX 500 tank (modified to fit the frame)
- Custom built seat
- Kawasaki ZX10r handlebars
- New headlight, throttle, clutch, blablabla
The frame has been cut and rewelded on the rear part. Same goes for the battery holder but I'll probably have to move it 'cause it's too close when the XR400 shock is on the frame (it's not visible in the picture).
I'm currently rebuilding the engine and planning to bore it to 480cc or leave this one standard and buy a new one to play and fiddle with pistons.

That's it...I hope u like it

Attachments

• xs_1.jpg
    xs_1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 230
  • xs_2.jpg
    xs_2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 234
  • xs_3.jpg
    xs_3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 226
  • xs_4.jpg
    xs_4.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 243
Oh yes...I forgot...I kept the original cable speedometer on the front wheel but I'm getting rid of it 'cause I'll use a digital speedometer mounted directly on the top clamp. There is too much confusion around, I can't find a speedometer that will work for sure and has a nice look (the standard one is awful...) so I'll use a digital one, small, clean and not too showy.

Bel lavoro :thumbsup:, quei cerchi raggi sono di un rd300?
Li hai già provati?
Io devo trovare solo un bel cerchio a raggi per completare il bobberino.

Bel lavoro :thumbsup:, quei cerchi raggi sono di un rd300?
Li hai già provati?
Io devo trovare solo un bel cerchio a raggi per completare il bobberino.

no, sono di un CRF 450 (si vede il motore sullo sfondo). Se ti serve un 18'' prendi il cerchio di una enduro e vai di tornio per farti i distanziali.

I made a few steps forward, just had no time to fix the pics and upload them.
I'm still waiting for the new rings from Yamaha so I'm moving forward with other stuff.
Cylinders are fine, no wearing or scratches anywhere...that's a good news.
Tonight I finally put the headlight back on using the new sub-frame and cutting/grinding the two holders. Now the headlight sits really close to the frame with no (ugly, for me) empty space in between.
I had to drill two new holes and cut the extra material from the headlight clamps and...well, looks good to me. I have to polish the new clamps but at least the headlight is in, what it should be, its final position

xs11.jpg

xs12.jpg

xs13.jpg

and this is a picture of the 320mm disc and brembo caliper. It's HUGE

xs10.jpg

That's it .... I really have to finish the engine and put it back on to proceed with the final steps but I feel like the hard part of the work is gone.

C ya!

Wow...no updates since Pam Anderson was a virgin...
Let's see...what's going on...
Mufflers! Who need mufflers? Two 38mm 45° bent tubes on original headpipes will do the job. The bike runs fast, I don't remember it to be so aggressive before all these works (new rings, ported head, pods, jets and now mufflers).
I welded a couple of braces to the rear frame and fabricated an alluminum under-tail pan to hide all the cables and CDI/regulator/relay/stuff. Oh yes, new fuse box as well. I don't want to stop in the middle of nowhere and have to look for an old glass fuse. I used a fuse box coming from a Yamaha Majesty. Smaller, tougher and with modern fuses.
I'm going to fit a 120/80x18 on the rear wheel and a 100/90, both Bridgestone BT45. I had them on my CRF450 and loved them so... "never change a winning team".

That's almost done...blinkers, mirrors and I'm ready to go. Hopefully :doh:

There are a few things to sort out (the angle of the mufflers absolutely first) but that's pretty much it

Attachments

• xs.jpg
    xs.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 231
G'day Nuno,

I don't usually like the dhoc style but yours looks very cool.:thumbsup: Is the tank clear coated? Its a bit hard to see in the pic. Please post some more pics.

Cheers.

G'day Nuno,

I don't usually like the dhoc style but yours looks very cool.:thumbsup: Is the tank clear coated? Its a bit hard to see in the pic. Please post some more pics.

Cheers.

G'day mate,
the tank is painted in a very noble rust finish...meaning it's not painted at all. I'm currently working on the new tank, identical to that one but in better conditions. I tried to restore the one in the pic but it's too ruined and I found another one on ebay for cheap.
I'll do more pics as I'll put the bike back together...It's going through a deep cleaning.

p.s. where are you in Sydney? I lived in Glebe for two years

Thats funny - I live in Glebe, down near the water and Boathouse restaurant.

Your bike reminds me a bit of this beast.
http://www.australiancaferacers.com/blog/2012/4/5/the-mongrel-yamaha-xt600.html

When were you in Sydney?

Cheers.

Posted via Mobile

I lived behind the library...if you ever saw a CRF 450 chased by police, that was me...I've been there from mhm...2010 to 2012.
The idea for that bike is cool but the result is a bit raw in my opinion...too many cables and wires around. I do share the same monoshock though.
With my XS I focused on the "bike" part first and the aesthetic later so I worked on the brakes, handling and engine first...now I'm refining the look and then I'll go back to the engine and so on...it's a neverending project but on it's first real ride it brought me from Rome to London, I'm quite happy with that.

Back