Breaking in a new engine

fc10a3

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally got her fired up for the first time last night. Question is how should I break 'er in. There seems to be varying thoughts on hard (and more than one way to hard break) vs soft. Thought I should ask the ones who know our bikes best.

when I first built the bike, i put mineral oil in. let her warm up, drove about 2 miles to the local dual carriage way and then thrashed her for about 2 miles, slowed down, turned round, then thrashed her back the same route.

dumped the oil when i got back, semi synth in, and no oil usage at all in 6 years.

If fact it out dragged my friends cb750 yesterday up to 80 :D

he was gutted!

What happened after 80:D My friend has a 1980 cb750 super sport with some mods and it goes like 135mph

when I first built the bike, i put mineral oil in. let her warm up, drove about 2 miles to the local dual carriage way and then thrashed her for about 2 miles, slowed down, turned round, then thrashed her back the same route.

dumped the oil when i got back, semi synth in, and no oil usage at all in 6 years.

If fact it out dragged my friends cb750 yesterday up to 80 :D

he was gutted!

Well he did about 10 maybe 20 depending on how far he lives from the highway. Thanks for not reading the thread!

How many miles would you figure for break in? In other words before you do the first oil change and go to say, synthetic?

don't do synthetic, not worth it.

drop the oil after 20 miles and clean the gauze filter under the engine!

don't do synthetic, not worth it.

drop the oil after 20 miles and clean the gauze filter under the engine!
Already have 100 miles on it and have the Mobil one 4 stroke oil bought ($10.50/qt). Thank God it only takes 2 qts. Probably overkill but I won't put many miles on her and the added protection won't cost me much. Where's the gauze filter?

Already have 100 miles on it and have the Mobil one 4 stroke oil bought ($10.50/qt). Thank God it only takes 2 qts. Probably overkill but I won't put many miles on her and the added protection won't cost me much. Where's the gauze filter?

under the engine, 6 x 5mm bolts torqued to 10nm (which isn't much)

Back