Broken Carb float holder How to Fix

Chev59_99

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Posted are some pictures of how I fixed the float holder I broke trying to get float pin out. These carbs 81 xs400 were so stuck nothing would move on them.Soaked in carb cleaner can and rushed trying to get pin out. In pictures I used a mill ,drill press ,cut off wheel ,file ,tap ,and hex aluminum but this can be done with round aluminum, file, drill ,tap and hack saw. I also used a stainless steel screw I think 10-32 and cut head off and locktite 620. I did not get one of the holes straight so new holder is a little off to right but works good.Pics should tell the story but if you have questions Please ask. Just posting to give others idea how to do it. I seen were others just used JB weld but I wanted to make sure this stayed it place and did not break from vibration. Oh after taking apart I bead blasted but not in smooth bore (inside of carb) or where throttle rods went in and then cleaned in ultrasound. Main message in this is Be Careful in the first place and you will not have to do this. Thanks Chev

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9127307@N05/sets/72157626234057712/

Last edited:
Back