Broken Rocker Arm Screw

ebond

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got my 78 xs400 running this past weekend but the success has been short-lived. I started the process of checking my valve clearances today only to find that one of the adjusting screws appears to have sheared off and took the locking nut with it. Hopefully you can see in the pictures what I'm talking about.

So, there is nothing holding the rocker arm in place, and it's just free to bounce about on it's own. I think I was able to find a replacement for the screw and nut here: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1978/XS400-2E/VALVE - ROCKER ARM/parts.html

Parts number ten and eleven in the picture from that link.

Looking through the manual, it seems like taking the cylinder head cover off is all I need to do in order to get at the broken bits. My bigger concern is that I ran the engine briefly this past weekend, and I'm pretty sure whatever broke off is bouncing around somewhere in my engine.

I'm new to working on any kind of vehicle. My questions are:
Do you think I damaged the engine by running it this weekend with parts rattling around inside?

Could the broken pieces have made it any deeper into the engine than the cylinder head? Will I likely find them when I take the cover off?(it wouldn't appear so from the pictures in the manual)

Are any of the tappet covers supposed to have holes in them? The tappet cover from the same location as the broken screw has a hole drilled in it. I can't imagine that's any good.

Thanks in advance for the help, I really hope I'm not too screwed here.

Attachments

• IMAG0428.jpg
    IMAG0428.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMAG0427.jpg
    IMAG0427.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMAG0429.jpg
    IMAG0429.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 220
Welcome:) Don't run the engine like this till you fix it. I would look in the sump screen in the bottom of the engine for the bits. Also change the oil and filter. I have the parts you need if you want. I can do $22 shipped for all of it paypal only:)

Attachments

• DSC02021.jpg
    DSC02021.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 210
xschris, I wish I would have seen this sooner but I already ordered the parts! (more expensive too :banghead:)Thanks for the offer though.

I don't plan on running it until its fixed and the pieces are fished out, but do you think I did any damage running it for a few minutes this past weekend?

Where's the sump screen? Is that the same as the oil screen under the plate down by the oil drain plug?

Your sump screen is underneith the bottom of your bike.Theres a small plate behind the darin bolt with 5-6 small bolts that holds it on.You might have to make another gasket or you might get lucky when you remove the plate it stays intact.Just be very careful that you dont over tighten when you install the plate.Just snug it up is all.Hope this helps you.

You wont be able to tell if you did any serious damage until you get it all back togetter and fixed. If you ran it briefly, you might be alright but time will tell. I think youll be alright.

xschris, I wish I would have seen this sooner but I already ordered the parts! (more expensive too :banghead:)Thanks for the offer though.

I don't plan on running it until its fixed and the pieces are fished out, but do you think I did any damage running it for a few minutes this past weekend?

Where's the sump screen? Is that the same as the oil screen under the plate down by the oil drain plug?

Thats ok and yes:)

Back