1978 XS400 clutch adjustment

jaeg

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m finding my clutch is slipping a bit under load at speed so I’m looking to adjust it. I’ve got a bit of a problem, though. After opening up the access cover I see I need to adjust a screw and a nut but I do not see any way to adjust the nut while not also moving the screw. I’m assuming I need a special tool for this. What does that look like? Or am I just overthinking it and I should be fine to adjust the screw and then then it and move on with life? Picture attached is what I’m perplexed by. Thanks!

Attachments

• DDF51001-103B-4802-A66D-D400C0861BF6.jpeg
    DDF51001-103B-4802-A66D-D400C0861BF6.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 127
I realize that photo is a bit dark so I've updated it here. What I'm perplexed by is the need to do this:

Loosen the adjuster screw locknut (highlighted in orange) in the casing and turn the screw (highlighted in blue) clockwise until slight resistance is felt. Back off the screw about 1/4 turn and tighten the locknut.​

I'm worried that if I tighten the locknut (12mm) into place after setting the screw it'll turn the screw as well. Maybe that's the 1/4 turn the manual talks about?

Attachments

• 1978XS400ClutchAdjustment.png
    1978XS400ClutchAdjustment.png
    410.8 KB · Views: 127
You can use a shallow socket or deep socket held by a vice grip which will allow you to put a screw driver through it to hold screw whilst snugging up the jam nut. Once snug remove the vice grip, put a ratchet on the socket and tighten accordingly.

You can use a shallow socket or deep socket held by a vice grip which will allow you to put a screw driver through it to hold screw whilst snugging up the jam nut. Once snug remove the vice grip, put a ratchet on the socket and tighten accordingly.
Quick question - is this one of those "left to tighten, right to loosen" situations? I find when I'm first trying to break the jam nut free it's not coming easily (may be due to age) and I found when I turn it left, it's turning against the spring mechanism and back feeding the clutch cable.

I don't want to really put any real effort into it until I know I'm turning it the correct way. Thanks!

Hey jaeg, no it's left to loosen like a regular thread. It's a jam nut and they can be tight. I had to grit me teeth to break the one loose on the second twin, but it did come loose without collateral damage except my nerves, lol. Don't know why people have to tighten jam nuts soooo tight.

Okay. I guess I’ll just have to keep at it. When the mechanism started moving it made me nervous. Thanks for the reassurance.

Wanted to let you know that I got it free and made my adjustments. I’ll get it out again shortly to test it out. Thanks Buddha - wisdom is appreciated!

Back