building rearsets

karatekid1194

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a ton of fabrication expertise but I am thinking about building a set of rearsets for my 1980 xs400 special. Anyone have any advise or models to go off of? Also does anyone make a set of rearsets specifically for them? I looked last year but couldn't find any.

There are plenty of universal kits out there, but if you can make a simple bracket and weld anything can be made to work. Just get some cheap used ones from a random supersport motorcycle like an R1 and go nuts. The challenge is making a rear drum brake work; if you have a disc in the rear everything is trivial; it's easier to make simple brackets and route and move hoses than to fabricate a lever system that will work with a drum brake. I'm sure it isn't that hard; just not trivial like mounting a master cylinder would be.

There are plenty of universal kits out there, but if you can make a simple bracket and weld anything can be made to work. Just get some cheap used ones from a random supersport motorcycle like an R1 and go nuts. The challenge is making a rear drum brake work; if you have a disc in the rear everything is trivial; it's easier to make simple brackets and route and move hoses than to fabricate a lever system that will work with a drum brake. I'm sure it isn't that hard; just not trivial like mounting a master cylinder would be.

Yep!
Just get some rearsets from a R6, ZX-6R or Gixxer. They have all you need, master cylinder, brake light switch, linkage, etc...all for $50. Then just weld up some adapter plates.

*edit*
Just noticed you have a bike with drums, still, you can fab up some linkage to work very easily.

I looked up "rearsets" on the Google and all it shows are different gear levers and brake pedals set up so your feet are farther back when riding.
If that's all you're looking for, the xs400 Seca has them. They mount onto the same holes in the frame as do the Maxim foot controls, but the pegs are set back and the toe controls moved back accordingly.
Perhaps a set off a Seca would fit and do what you need?

Thanks everyone! And that little piece of info on the Seca sounds intriguing... might give that a look first just in-case.

Thanks everyone! And that little piece of info on the Seca sounds intriguing... might give that a look first just in-case.
Here's what the Seca shifter and footpeg assembly looks like.
Don't know if the mount bolt is the same on your bike but if so it could be a cheap solution if someone is parting out small bits.

Attachments

• Seca shifter.jpg
    Seca shifter.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Back