Burned by mikes xs

eriktassmer

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I ordered a regulator/rectifier and front brake switch for my bike. My rectifier is fine i just needed a regulator so i said screw it for 40 bucks i can get the reg/rec. So the switch is Doa. I email him he says cool just send it back ill exchange great. Now I'm wiring the reg/rec. but there's only 5 wires. Wtf. It's not a regUlator rectifier it's just a rectifier. So I email him and ask him what the deal is. He proceeds to tell me what a regulator and a rectifier Are.yea thanks I had no idea(eye roll). Then he says

"My PMA unit just uses a regulator. A rectifier is made to convert A/C power to D/C power. My PMA kit creates D/C power only and therefore does not need a rectifier. The part you bought is for our PMA"

So his pma doesn't need a rectifier? Then why does he sell a rectifier for his pma. That makes absolutely no sense. So then he won't respond to emails and he changes the product description. So I called him out on it and he changed it back and called me a liar. Lovely customer service. He insults me and pretty much tells me I'm beat.

Now i have go thru my credit card and try to get my money back. Heres the actual description.

image.jpg

Right there in plain English: Voltage Regulator/PMA Rectifier Replacement.

You got what you ordered. What YOU ordered was not the part you wanted. Your fault, not MikesXS. Pay the return fees and order the correct part. Or keep it as a humble reminder of how you publicly blamed others for your mistake.

No need to call yourself names. You ordered a part for a Permanent Magnet Alternator. You don't have a PMA do you? You got what you ordered, and you are blaming MakesXS for delivering what you ordered rather than what you wanted.

Ok stop eating your crayons for a minute and listen. I ordered a part for a permanent magnet alternator. Which part did I order? A regulator rectifier. Which would mean it rectifies ac to dc and regulates the current. You following me so far? This regulator rectifier does not regulate. It only rectifies. What don't you get pop tart

Ok stop eating your crayons for a minute and listen. I ordered a part for a permanent magnet alternator. Which part did I order? A regulator rectifier. Which would mean it rectifies ac to dc and regulates the current. You following me so far? This regulator rectifier does not regulate. It only rectifies. What don't you get pop tart

So, you admit to ordering the wrong part. That is the bottom line and should be the end of the discussion. So what if the description of the part is less than perfect? It contains enough information that you should have known that it wasn't the part you needed, if you were as smart as you think you are. The fact is you ordered a Voltage Regulator for a PMA conversion kit, that regulates voltage without rectifying A/C to D/C, for a conversion kit you don't have. Man up and admit you made a mistake.

You may be wondering, why am I bothering to reply? Because your first post here is to publicly criticize one of the few sponsors of this site, for your error. Then you insult me repeatedly, which does nothing for your creditability. Nor does it solve your issue of not having the part you need.

Maybe next time you will ask for advice first, but considering how knowledgeable you are and your apparent temper, I doubt it.

Oh I see. That part I have is really a voltage regulator not a rectifier. So the three yellow wires go to the stator, the red wire to power black to ground and the field coil energizes itself magically. Maybe that's the problem. No pixie dust. And yea I am here to burn mikes xs. All I wanted was to return the part. So he wants to burn me ill return the favor

I can't comment on how the wiring is connected as I've never installed or worked on a PMA conversion. However, a Permanent Magnet Alternator doesn't have a field coil. It uses a Permanent Magnet.

With regard to returning the part, every parts shop I've dealt with in the past 30+ years has had a policy of not accepting returns on electrical components. It is too easy to damage electrical devices, and too difficult to test them to see if they are still good.

Maybe you can post it for sale on an XS650 forum.

Um no moron. I did not get a regulator/rectifier. I got a rectifier.
Based on five minutes of research into PMAs it sure looks like you got a standalone regulator.

-How do you know the original item you received was DOA if you can't hook up the replacement?
-Did you look at the picture of the item you were ordering? The one showing only five wires?
-It looks like Mike does sell combination regulator rectifier units. They all go for over $100. Did you wonder why he would sell three other units for over $100 and also sell the one you ordered for only $37.95?
-Did you email mike before ordering to confirm that the item is, in fact, what you needed?

That being said, I don't understand why the word "rectifier" is mentioned in relation to that item at all. It should simply state "Replacement Regulator for the Permanent Magnet Alternator Kit (PMA #24-2669)".

I can sympathize with both of you, but you're a dick.

"Voltage Regulator/PMA Rectifier Replacement" would be better described as "Replacement Voltage Regulator for PMA Conversion kit" or something like that. No tasty crayons required!

It make me kind of glad that our sohc xs400's don't have all the fussy crap to deal with.

The key word here is "replacement." When you don't understand what that word means, there is no need to go calling others morons, crayon eaters and pop tarts. What an effing douche.

Back