Cafe Racer Build

freiesss

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So,

I have a 1982 Maxim 400. My plan is to customize this bike to look like a cafe racer. I have access to welding equipment and just about everything I would need to customize this bike the way I want. The only problem is I don't have much experience working with motorcycles and this isn't exactly the easiest bike to modify into a cafe racer. As most of you know, this bike has a riding style that is pretty much the opposite of cafe racer. I don't know if any of you have customized these before but I would love to hear any suggestions you may have that would help me turn this bike into a cafe racer!

Thanks for your help!

No reason this bike can't make a cracker of a cafe racer. It has a monoshock that lends itself really well to a light look. I'd start by exposing that monoshock as well as you can. Relocate the battery and circuitry. Get some pod air filters for the carbs. Figure out a different rear fender, if you even want one. That will pretty much clean out your frame aft of the engine and through all that work your creative juices will flow. Puts you well on your way to success.
Post pictures. People will get interested in your progress, critique your ideas, and throw their own at you. Constantly. Not all of them know what they're talking about, but as long as you keep the conversation going in a pleasant direction these kinds of forums can be very useful.
Good luck!

The seat placement in relation to the tank seems an issue to me. The tank itself could be switched for a seca 400 model which looks much better for cafe style. The seat height could be raised by either chopping and fabbing a new one or adding to the old one ala ducati trellis frame style. Then round headlight, rear sets, and clip ons and paint.

Here are some pictures of the strip...

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 2,159
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 8,763
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,928
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 7,419
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 2,074
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 2,474
She sure looks clean from here. NICE shop! :eek:
Do you have any ideas you're headed towards?
Thanks!

Yes, we are almost complete. I am waiting until we finish the paint job to post the final pictures.

As you can see, we lowered the bike down on the front forks to give the bike a "flatter" appearance. Also, we raised the back end up a few inches by adjusting the mono shock in the rear. The bike is now very flat compared to what it used to be.

We ended up ordering a completely new tank from eBay. Also, a new seat, handle bars, mirrors, turn signals, brake light/license holder, and also some Yamaha logos for the tank.

Pictures of the bike will be up in a week or so!

It will be a silver and red tank with the original black frame. The seat is brown leather.

Cant wait to see how it turns out! Which tank did you go with? Im doing the same project right now. Just tore it apart and slowly ordering parts.

I love the early Viragos, and the customs people are turning out are awesome. Here are my favorites. #2 is the one your tank is from.

yamaha-virago-xv750-4.jpg

yamaha-xv750.jpg

I'm glad someone is using that look as inspiration for a Maxim. I see a lot of potential there.

Here is a picture of our custom seat bracket/frame...Will be painting black to match the bikes frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 1,097
Love the bike sir! I brought home the exact same bike today to do a project with my Dad. Cafe racer all the way. I also am going with the brown leather seat and Benelli style tank. Can you fill me in on how you adjusted the mono shock spring in the back? Also, did you buy the prefabricated tank with the welded pieces already in? I was wondering how that fits. Please help. This is my first bike and I'm a complete noob also, details of exact products you got would be a tremendous help and save me days of working on this. Thanks man! -Matt

Love the bike sir! I brought home the exact same bike today to do a project with my Dad. Cafe racer all the way. I also am going with the brown leather seat and Benelli style tank. Can you fill me in on how you adjusted the mono shock spring in the back? Also, did you buy the prefabricated tank with the welded pieces already in? I was wondering how that fits. Please help. This is my first bike and I'm a complete noob ���� also, details of exact products you got would be a tremendous help and save me days of working on this. Thanks man! -Matt

Nice! Well, first off this is probably one of the worst years to turn into a cafe racer. With that being said nothing is going to fit like it should. In order for the tank to fit we had to custom weld some mounting brackets onto the tanks underside. After we did that, it allowed us to keep the frame of the bike completely original and use the current vibration fittings the tank previously used. (The vibration fittings that I am talking about are the black little rubber pieces on the frame.) We also made many modifications to the tank because of how crude it comes from the seller. There were tons of bad welds and many small pinholes all over the tank. We ended up buying a tank sealing kit online. Also the seat bracket/mount was completely custom fabricated. Nothing will just fit on this bike the way it is. To adjust the mono shock you just simply turn the entire spring to lengthen the shock itself which puts it into more of a downward raking position which is necessary for the cafe look. Honestly, if you really want a cool cafe looking bike this is the wrong bike but we just happened to have this one and we wanted a summer project. I'm sure there are more questions that you will have so feel free to ask away. Also, sorry if I forgot to answer anything! Best of luck.

Back