Cafe Racer Build

Yeah, no one usually goes for a cafe style DOHC; it's almost always a bobber. Good job!

Here's a few pictures I took of the pipes getting sprayed down with some heat resistant black.

(sorry that the pictures are sideways)

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 558
Here you can see the bike in its early stages. The tank was extremely crude when we received it. Little did we know that the entire tank was actually brazed in a factory, not welded. As soon as we started to try welding on this tank to fix imperfections it seemed like the whole tank was going to catch in flames because of the cheap steel and brazing metals used to hold this thing together. We ended up using a tank sealing kit (3 stage) cleaner, rust preventer, and seal to fix the pinholes that were throughout the tank. If we hadn't sealed the tank from the inside the tank would have leaked gas like crazy.

Also, we had to use Bondo on the tank to clean up the lines a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 1,434
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:
Here's a picture of the custom seat bracket we made being painted.

(sorry that its rotated I cant change it for some reason)

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Side shot ...

Still to come - Mirrors, braided gas line, engine cleaning/polishing, exhaust re-install after high heat paint, and more minor details that I will get into later.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 940
Looks great man, I just bought a maxim 1983 and I'm looking to play with it a little like you did! You're giving me great ideas love the look of the tank, backlight and seat!

Was the seat hard to install? I'm looking to change mine this winter but it seems like a harsh job to do for a beginner like me and as you said not the best bike to easily turn into a cafe racer but you still did a marvelous job my friend.

Thanks for the help bcware! Front forks stiffened up nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 655
Freiesss,

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure I will have questions down the road. I wanted to add some progress pictures hoping for some constructive criticism from you fellas (and gals). I fitted the tank and seat today. Much more to do

Attachments

• bike6785743.jpg
    bike6785743.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 860
  • bike786543.jpg
    bike786543.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 913
  • bike34567.jpg
    bike34567.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 878
  • bike7654.jpg
    bike7654.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 849
Just curious - what place did you pickup your tank from? Sounds like some come in rough condition.

Freiesss,

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure I will have questions down the road. I wanted to add some progress pictures hoping for some constructive criticism from you fellas (and gals). I fitted the tank and seat today. Much more to do
Like the looks of where you are headed so far! What color are you planning on? I really wanted to do something like this for awhile... Might look nice on your bike.
6669833_orig.jpg

I'm using this bike as a little inspiration. I think the Matte finish on the tank will help hide imperfections, and I love the brown leather on the handlebars, seat, etc..

I'm either going to paint some of the engine components myself (Matte Black), or going to have them powder coated. Any suggestions here? Any have any experience painting their own and it came out really well? I'm afraid the paint will chip if I do it myself with all the heat.

Also, Freiesss, how involved is sealing the tank and what does this whole process look like? I've never done it before.

Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• Yamaha-XS750-Cafe-Racer-5.jpg
    Yamaha-XS750-Cafe-Racer-5.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 893
Back